New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 PCI Yikes additional Hard Drive queston

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

flowforth

I have OS9.2 and have eaten up my 20 GB hard drive. I would like to add a bigger drive and install OSX.2. I would like to keep the old 30 GB hard-drive in OS9 and install OSX on the new one. Can anyone give me any times on partitioning and procedure for this? Also, can I put in a second 250 MB ATA drive on this model?

Thanks again, Dan.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

If your G4 only has one HD right now, you can easily add a second one to it. On the cable, where the original disk is connected, is a second connector for a second disk. You just have to make sure following things:
1. On both drives, the jumper should be set to CS (Cable Select)
2. The one that is getting OS X needs to be on the connector at the end of the cable, thus being recognized as master. Otherwise you won't be able to install OS X.

But before upgrading to OS X, you should check if your Mac needs a firmware upgrade. Some older Macs need that before running OS X.

Check here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86117

And no, a 250GB drive will not be entirely recognised, the limit for this old Mac being at 120GB. Unless you puy a PCI IDE controller cart, which also would make disc accesses faster.
QUOTE Thanks
flowforth

That is a great help - Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How in the world can mac mini play halo | Mac Mini Ram »