New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G5 Wont Recognize External HD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Musikfiend

Musikfiend is on a distinguished road

OK the problem is when switching over from my old G4 Running Tiger OS I Put About 80 Gigs of Important Programs & Songs On an IDE Hard Drive to Transfer them to my new G5. Everything worked fine. I sold the G4 & I just got my G5. The G5 is Running Leopard. So I put the internal Maxtor HD that all the data was on in an external enclosure b/c G5's use SATA not IDE. My problem is that the HD isnt mounting. It's not in my Disk Utility but it's in the System Profiler & it shows up like this:

USB Hi-Speed Bus

s<[à’ÝÉߔ̇í:

Version: 1.06
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Initio
Product ID: 0x1040
Serial Number:00000000000000000
Vendor ID: 0x13fd

Any suggestions on how i can get the HD to work b/c i really need the data on it???
QUOTE Thanks
powermac G5

powermac G5 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: *27" imac C2D 3.0/1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Octo 2.8/4x1TB/16GB**Mac Pro Quad 2.66/2x1TB/8GB**iPhone 4*

Can you see the drive in start up disk option in your system preference pane?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

How did you format the drive? To be bootable on a PPC as an external must first be set up under Apple Partition Map, Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Are you connecting using Firewire as PPC will not boot using USB2?
QUOTE Thanks
Musikfiend

Musikfiend is on a distinguished road

OK Now that i've got the computer to recognize the drive (which i did by changing the drive's jumper settings) I'm now getting the Error -36 message when trying to copy the files from the external to my main drive. It reads:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in ("File Name In Parentheses") could not be read or written

(Error Code - 36)

What does this mean & how can i correct this???
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.2

How did you format the drive is still the question? Have a look at this link about formatting and you may well be up for a reformat losing all your info sadly:-

external hard drive error -36 - Mac - Apple
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where's my free space on my hard drive | DVI cable »