New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Power mac G4 going wireless

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Fireplug

Fireplug is on a distinguished road

I just bought a Power mac G4 (Tiger) and would like to connect it wireless to my airport extreme. I am new to the Mac world and need help finding the right wireless card, it is for my young daughter so it does not have to be top of the line. Price is important.

Thanks in advance for the help.
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

hi,
just google "usb wireless adapters for mac" and see what comes up. i once saw one for 20 USD. u cannot put airport extreme in old macs like that. thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
Heathy

Heathy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 2.4ghz and Upgraded PowerMac G4 Graphite with 3 160gb hds, 1gb ram, wireless, superdrive

you could put a pci card in it. thats what i did and it worked wonders.
QUOTE Thanks
Fireplug

Fireplug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
you could put a pci card in it. thats what i did and it worked wonders.
I think that is what I'll try. I found a D-Link WUA-1340 for $14.99.

Sabrent PCI-G802 PCI Wireless Card - 54Mbps, 802.11g, WindowsMacLinux Compatible at TigerDirect.com
QUOTE Thanks
mcjacksonnelson

mcjacksonnelson has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.53 Intel Core Duo Mac Mini; 4g RAM; 350g HD, OS 10.6.3

an older regular AirPort card will work too (pre-extreme). i found one on craigslist out of an older G3 for $25.

"You can't fight in here, this is the war room!"

CONSTRUCTIV Art & Design
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If you live in a larger city in the US, check your local Sunday paper ads. Office Depot, Staples, Office Max, Circuit City, Best Buy, etc.

Sometimes they have them at 50%+ off. Sometimes next to nothing after the mail in rebate.

If you're in a more more rural area, you can check the weekly circulars on all of the above via their websites.
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjacksonnelson View Post
an older regular AirPort card will work too (pre-extreme). i found one on craigslist out of an older G3 for $25.
yes, this will work. for a short time i had a powermac g4 and there was an airport (nonextreme) card in it. of course, u have a better chance of getting that cheaper too. i said to get a USB one because was not sure if airport extreme would work with an average airport card... but i guess it can.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is it worth it? PowerMac G3 B&W | Muscle up a G5 »