G5 not starting (possible power problem)
    My Power Mac G5 is no longer starting up. A few days ago I hit the power up button and as it started up there was a loud 'pop' noise. The noise was reminiscent of some kind of power surge. The system no longer starts up - when I click the power up button it makes a clicking noise and flashes a little light near the button. I am wondering what I need to do to get my system running, if I have to replace a part or not? Thank you for your help.

Los Angeles, California
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    You may have a power supply failure
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

I think that is the case. Do you know what I need to replace to get it running again?

Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    MacMini 2.4, 8 Gb, OS 10.10 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.6.8
    Quote Originally Posted by David James View Post
    I think that is the case. Do you know what I need to replace to get it running again?
    Open up your G5 and sniff - yes, sniff - around in the region of where the power cord plugs in. If you detect a burnt smell, then in all likelihood the power supply unit is history. To my knowledge, there is no internal fuse protection.

If you know how to test a psu, ie. power in vs power out, with a multimeter, you may find that your present psu is okay. A m-meter will also show you if the psu is dead. Alternatively, an electronics technician could test the psu for you.

For guidance on removing (and by inference) replacing a G5 psu: Powermac G5 Take-Apart Guide

Where to get another refurbished (and verified) psu? Search the forums and advertise. Try this site G5 PowerMacs June 2004 | 1-800-525-3888
    If no success, then it's probably Apple to the rescue.

Thread Information