New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G5 not starting (possible power problem)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

David James

David James is on a distinguished road

My Power Mac G5 is no longer starting up. A few days ago I hit the power up button and as it started up there was a loud 'pop' noise. The noise was reminiscent of some kind of power surge. The system no longer starts up - when I click the power up button it makes a clicking noise and flashes a little light near the button. I am wondering what I need to do to get my system running, if I have to replace a part or not? Thank you for your help.
David
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You may have a power supply failure

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
David James

David James is on a distinguished road

I think that is the case. Do you know what I need to replace to get it running again?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David James View Post
I think that is the case. Do you know what I need to replace to get it running again?
Open up your G5 and sniff - yes, sniff - around in the region of where the power cord plugs in. If you detect a burnt smell, then in all likelihood the power supply unit is history. To my knowledge, there is no internal fuse protection.

If you know how to test a psu, ie. power in vs power out, with a multimeter, you may find that your present psu is okay. A m-meter will also show you if the psu is dead. Alternatively, an electronics technician could test the psu for you.

For guidance on removing (and by inference) replacing a G5 psu: Powermac G5 Take-Apart Guide

Where to get another refurbished (and verified) psu? Search the forums and advertise. Try this site G5 PowerMacs June 2004 | 1-800-525-3888
If no success, then it's probably Apple to the rescue.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Anyone else having trouble w/ Leopard/MacPro? | No CD/DVD drive in my Power Mac G4 »