New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - No CD/DVD drive in my Power Mac G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Wman

Wman is on a distinguished road

I have a powermac g4 (FW800, I think), with the original combodrive and an LG "superdrive". Neither or these will read any formats of disks all of a sudden. I pop them in and wait for an icon to appear in my desktop or for iTunes to open the CD (for music CDs) or anything to recognize it, but nothing happens . Both drives were working last time I used them. What might give?
-thx

Have no fear. Wman is here!...or something...
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Some of the older PMac boxes were very particular about the brand of DVD drive used. Most were Pioneer and no others would work. Check in the System status to see the brand.
QUOTE Thanks
Wman

PHILIPS CDD5301:

Firmware Revision: Z1.4
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 8192 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-Raw
Media: No

and

HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GSA-H50N:

Firmware Revision: 1.00
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Unsupported)
Profile Path: None
Cache: 2048 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

but neither seem to work with any disk.

QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You could try out patch burn, that may add support for that LG, but I have never heard of LG drives working on macs

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Check the Finder preferences and ensure boxes are ticked.
QUOTE Thanks
Wman

Finder preferences are all checked and both drives have been working well for a while. And the apple drive should still work. Also, the system profiler says the apple drive can burn, but it also calls it a Combo Drive (I posted the system profiler above).
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 4.png (42.8 KB, 1 views)

QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Have you had the machine apart lately as the cables sometimes are not quite fitted snugly and boy are they tight at times. No changes to master and slave settings at all? Next guess is the master drive may have to to optical heaven.
QUOTE Thanks
Wman

Now they both work intermittently, but the LG one works better than the apple combo drive. NVM, though. Problem seems to have solved itself with some fiddling,

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G5 not starting (possible power problem) | Connecting to tv problem »