New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Mini Ram

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

shaun89

shaun89 will become famous soon enough

Hye.

I am sort of considering of getting a Mac mini. I know, and you know, that apple rips you off on ram. So i was just going to get the basic 256, then buy a 512 stick form some where else. But It says DDR333 SDRAM. Whats SDRAM mean? I was also wondeirng if this would work and fit http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...p?EdpNo=513669.

Thanks a bunch
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

Wait... Forget that link. I just found this. http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...3&sku=P56-1521This is SDRAM... is says it's PC133, is that the same as DDR333?

Thanks again...
QUOTE Thanks
Brigrat

No, that is not the same. PC133 SDRAM is old, DDR333 SDRAM is PC2700. PC133 is single data rate, or one operation per clock cycle, where as DDR (Double Data Rate) performs two operations per clock cycle. The moral of the story is, you want either PC2700, or DDR333. The real question though is what size, ram module you need, I do not know if the Mac mini uses notebook memory, or standard size memory???
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

Ok... Um. Anyway of finding out what type of ram it takes?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Take a look here:

http://www.apple.com/macmini/specs.html
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

Everyhting we already know is on there. But it was unteresting reading. Thanks anyways!

I found this... http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/design.html it shows a picture of the inside at the bottom. It doesn't look like note book memory. Does SDRAM come in different sizes besides notebook and desktops? Anyone know anything else. ?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
johnnyluu

johnnyluu will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G5 2ghz Dual Processor, 12" Scrolling TrackPad Powerbook

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun89
Everyhting we already know is on there. But it was unteresting reading. Thanks anyways!

I found this... http://www.apple.com/ca/macmini/design.html it shows a picture of the inside at the bottom. It doesn't look like note book memory. Does SDRAM come in different sizes besides notebook and desktops? Anyone know anything else. ?

Thanks.
Sorry, but what on earth are you going on about?

I say, "Unless it causes death, it's not a problem!".
http://johnny.persistentperil.net
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyluu
Sorry, but what on earth are you going on about?
Good question...

@shaun89:
You already got all the answers you need, the Mac mini uses PC2700 DDR-SDRAM which is exactly the same than DDR333 (DDR=Double Data Rate). It's not PC133, because that's Single Data Rate RAM, which wouldn't even fit physically anyway...
It's the exact same RAM the actuall eMac, the last iMac G4 and the last PowerMac G4 MDD used...

What else do you need to know?!?

PS: Changing the memory yourself on the Mac mini will void your warranty...including AppleCare, in case you've bought that too.
QUOTE Thanks
shaun89

Hm.. Ok. I was jsut wondering if there were differnt sizes. I guess not. Well thanks guys! sorry to confuse you...lol
QUOTE Thanks
colday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Good question...

PS: Changing the memory yourself on the Mac mini will void your warranty...including AppleCare, in case you've bought that too.
Good catch!

This is on the Mac Mini site:

"Memory, AirPort Extreme and internal Bluetooth upgrades must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider; fees may apply."
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by colday
"Memory, AirPort Extreme and internal Bluetooth upgrades must be performed by an Apple Authorized Service provider; fees may apply."
At least it is upgradable, BT on the iMac is build to order only.
QUOTE Thanks
colday

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
At least it is upgradable, BT on the iMac is build to order only.
Yep. I made that mistake with my iBook G4. I didn't do enough research first, and ASSumed I could install it. When I bought my iMac G5, I did get it installed.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G4 PCI Yikes additional Hard Drive queston | Powerbook G4: power light flashing green... oh no, now what? »