New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

MacMini Does Have a Fan!!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacMini27

Here is a article from MacWorld
http://www.macworld.com/2005/01/news/minioverview/

The Noise. True to Apple’s recent hardware-design history, the Mac mini has an independently-controlled fan that turns on and off and adjusts its speed based on the Mac mini’s cooling needs. According to Apple, the fan runs at 22 decibels, essentially whisper-quiet. We had a hard time hearing any noise coming from the Mac mini’s fan, but then, no room at Macworld Expo is quiet in the way that a truly quiet home or office setting would be. We’ll have more on the Mac mini’s noise when we get one into the Macworld Lab.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

if this is the case, why couldnt they toss a fan into the g4 cube?
QUOTE Thanks
MacMini27

Trial and error? :closed:
MacWorld got this info straight from apple.....
QUOTE Thanks
PowerBookG4

PowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud ofPowerBookG4 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

I guess they did not think the G4 cube needed it becaues it was more open then the mac mini

My Website
Blog
I love my hosting company!
I was on the M-F honor roll for Febuary:2006
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
if this is the case, why couldnt they toss a fan into the g4 cube?
According to the Cube's original specs, there wasn't really much need for a fan, and it was build in a way that dissipated heat by convection, which for that hardware was enough.

The Macmini is even more crammed than the Cube, has a CPU, GPU, memory and system bus running at much higher frequencies than the Cube, and therefore needs a fan to cool all this.

I have a single 1.25MHz G4 in my PowerMac, and it's heatsink is really huge (about half the size of the Mac Mini!). Plus it has a (quite noisy) 120mm fan...so I guess that little thing runs pretty hot... :cool:
QUOTE Thanks
Maxp0wer2004

I dont know if i missed something here or what, but isnt this in the wrong section?
QUOTE Thanks
bassplayrr

bassplayrr will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxp0wer2004
I dont know if i missed something here or what, but isnt this in the wrong section?
That's what I was thinking as well, but seeing as that I have <20 posts I figured I'm the last person to be pointing out where things should and should not be.

-Chris
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I wonder what all the cube-heads are saying about this btw...

They've been campaigning for a revival of the cube for years now and they've basically got one...

It's not only much much cheaper than the cube, but also smaller, faster, better etc etc.

If I had a larger apartment with living room (instead of a 1-room apartment) I would definitely get one of these as a home entertainment system (i.e. music, dvd & photo playback device)
QUOTE Thanks
MacMini27

Well the reason I didnt put this in any other forum is becuse there wasent a mac mini section yet, so realy your not to bright when you think you are.
Get a life and quit posting I told you so's on a mac forum.
Some people get so anal about online stuff.... forum ettiqet, and poloticaly correct Ideology is for people without a life, their old ladys tell them what to do at home so they have to go barking up someones tree online, get a freakin life man!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And no I dont spell good and if that makes me less of a person, then you just proved my point again.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Hard Drive Compatability Question | Trouble with iMac G5 »