Specs:
    Mac Mini 1.83 C2D / 4 GB ( installed ) / 80 GB
    Unhappy Trying to Revive a older iMac G4 .. Startup problems
    Hello all

I received a Imac G4 ( 800 ?? one mem slot ) , put a harddrive I had laying around into it that I know worked - Put a dvd drive into it I had laying around and with some happiness started up . At first , I had no chimes , just would boot to the Question mark /Folder icon . I tried booting into cd/dvd with no luck it just goes to folder/? , I tried booting from my Leopard/Tiger and OS9 cd's ... No luck .... After researching some forums and google'd for a night or 2 I found out how to reset my PRAM and NVRAM , After I did this I got chimes VERY COOL or so I thought .....I tried all the basics again ( held C , Tried selective startup ) same results.

When I choose to do a selective startup ( option key held ) It shows the OSX disc but when I choose it the CD spins then it just stays at the menu , After a minute or so I can then refresh and try to click the arrow again .... Just stays in a loop I guess

I then booted the Imac into target disk mode and used my macmini Intel to install leopard to the drive on the Imac and I could install and even Booted my macmini from it ...

Sooo aggravating ... I guess i'm starting to think its something major , Iv been a PC tech for about 8 years , i'm a novice to mac id say prob about a year ( Comp Tech / Contractor ) .... Any help would be Greatly Appreciated

Sounds like you used a PC formated Hard Drive. You have to format it the Hard Drive App on the Mac OS disc and you may need the OS disc for that machine. Flashing ? means no system found. G4's and up are not my thing ,so others here can help you more. Good luck. Never punch in PC code into a MAC.

Specs:
    iMac 2010 27" QuadI7 OSX10.11, iMac 2008 OSX10.11, MBP Late2011OSX10.11 , iPad Air, iPhone 3GS
    I am very tired right now but one thing with older G4 Macs I have run into from time to time is some CDROM/DVDROM drives will not boot. It might be something else causing your issue, but I have ran into that a couple of times. Where did the original Apple drive go? Was it missing?

Specs:
    Been a PC tech / Sys admin for about 8 years ... after lay-off I started working at a local indie repair shop , Was given it as a tip for a long week and good job

The drive was getting no power to it and we removed it at my work . I came in the next morning to work and was given it as a gift if I wanted it , there's no real calling for a old iMac so was a cool tip for a hard days work haha

Anyway I could put a disc image DMG/ISO onto a firewire drive and boot from that ?

I'm with ya on the tired part , Spent my day off and 2 nights on this ....kinda madd idk why

I put the Imac into TDM and formatted it Apple part. , That is a PPC Bootable volume right?

Specs:
    Never mind guys , I really appreciate the help but now another problem has occurred and I think its prob worse than the first lol ( kinda : / )

The machine has decided to not basically turn on ... the fan spins but nothing else .. no display , no chimes now , hardrive doesn't spin with ide connected but without spins up fine : /

It was free but a bummer , I'v been looking into what could be causing this but I'm thinking either Power unit , Logic board or I did read a inverter? but I'm thinking logic board just because trying to relate it back to what the issues were before maybe ... IDK pretty bummed though

there a way I could possible buy a logic board with a faster cpu and such IF this is the problem ? seems like they would fit

When the firmwear is all messed up they will not start.

Specs:
    I at first was going to try and makesure the newest FW was on it but It never had a os when I received it so couldn't do the update .... I was trying to find a way to do it without a OS but didn't have any luck

only reason Im aggravated is it worked and 3 sec later this started HAHA If it did this from the start I wouldn't mind as much , spent alot of time so far : /

Specs:
    Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
    That sounds like a dead battery, happened to mine, its a cheap part, so you will not have lost out much if that is not the problem.
    Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system

Thread Information