New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Trying to Revive a older iMac G4 .. Startup problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jwile20vt

Jwile20vt is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 1.83 C2D / 4 GB ( installed ) / 80 GB

Hello all

I received a Imac G4 ( 800 ?? one mem slot ) , put a harddrive I had laying around into it that I know worked - Put a dvd drive into it I had laying around and with some happiness started up . At first , I had no chimes , just would boot to the Question mark /Folder icon . I tried booting into cd/dvd with no luck it just goes to folder/? , I tried booting from my Leopard/Tiger and OS9 cd's ... No luck .... After researching some forums and google'd for a night or 2 I found out how to reset my PRAM and NVRAM , After I did this I got chimes VERY COOL or so I thought .....I tried all the basics again ( held C , Tried selective startup ) same results.

When I choose to do a selective startup ( option key held ) It shows the OSX disc but when I choose it the CD spins then it just stays at the menu , After a minute or so I can then refresh and try to click the arrow again .... Just stays in a loop I guess

I then booted the Imac into target disk mode and used my macmini Intel to install leopard to the drive on the Imac and I could install and even Booted my macmini from it ...

Sooo aggravating ... I guess i'm starting to think its something major , Iv been a PC tech for about 8 years , i'm a novice to mac id say prob about a year ( Comp Tech / Contractor ) .... Any help would be Greatly Appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

Sounds like you used a PC formated Hard Drive. You have to format it the Hard Drive App on the Mac OS disc and you may need the OS disc for that machine. Flashing ? means no system found. G4's and up are not my thing ,so others here can help you more. Good luck. Never punch in PC code into a MAC.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I am very tired right now but one thing with older G4 Macs I have run into from time to time is some CDROM/DVDROM drives will not boot. It might be something else causing your issue, but I have ran into that a couple of times. Where did the original Apple drive go? Was it missing?
QUOTE Thanks
Jwile20vt

Been a PC tech / Sys admin for about 8 years ... after lay-off I started working at a local indie repair shop , Was given it as a tip for a long week and good job

The drive was getting no power to it and we removed it at my work . I came in the next morning to work and was given it as a gift if I wanted it , there's no real calling for a old iMac so was a cool tip for a hard days work haha

Anyway I could put a disc image DMG/ISO onto a firewire drive and boot from that ?

I'm with ya on the tired part , Spent my day off and 2 nights on this ....kinda madd idk why

I put the Imac into TDM and formatted it Apple part. , That is a PPC Bootable volume right?
QUOTE Thanks
Jwile20vt

Never mind guys , I really appreciate the help but now another problem has occurred and I think its prob worse than the first lol ( kinda : / )

The machine has decided to not basically turn on ... the fan spins but nothing else .. no display , no chimes now , hardrive doesn't spin with ide connected but without spins up fine : /

It was free but a bummer , I'v been looking into what could be causing this but I'm thinking either Power unit , Logic board or I did read a inverter? but I'm thinking logic board just because trying to relate it back to what the issues were before maybe ... IDK pretty bummed though

there a way I could possible buy a logic board with a faster cpu and such IF this is the problem ? seems like they would fit
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

When the firmwear is all messed up they will not start.
QUOTE Thanks
Jwile20vt

I at first was going to try and makesure the newest FW was on it but It never had a os when I received it so couldn't do the update .... I was trying to find a way to do it without a OS but didn't have any luck

only reason Im aggravated is it worked and 3 sec later this started HAHA If it did this from the start I wouldn't mind as much , spent alot of time so far : /
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

That sounds like a dead battery, happened to mine, its a cheap part, so you will not have lost out much if that is not the problem.

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Turn off computer? | Loud and obnoxious noise from CD drive? »