New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Help Please...!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bxl

bxl is on a distinguished road

I left my G5 on (sleeping) over night and there was a power cut... when I found my computer this morning, the little sleeping light was on but nothing happens when I try to switch it on... I even unplugged the power cable and when I plug it back the problem persists, the light is on but no reaction... tried pushing the power button for several seconds and nothing... any ideas? I'm seriously panicking here... any help will be much appreciated... sorry about my english... thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

ADKhikerVW is a jewel in the roughADKhikerVW is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4

Your english is fine. Do you keep your computer plugged in to a surge protector? It is common for power to surge during an outage, which can cause damage to sensitive electronics.

When you switch the computer on after unplugging it, do you hear the normal startup chime? Can you hear the drive(s) spinning up and do your peripherals work? Try hitting the caps lock button on the keyboard after the system has had time to boot and see if the light comes on. If it does, then there is a good chance the system is booting but you are not getting video for whatever reason. Maybe try resetting the PRAM by holding down Cmd+Opt+P+R at boot until you hear three chimes.

What type of G5 is it? (iMac, PowerMac?)
QUOTE Thanks
bxl

Thanks for replying man... I don't have a surge protector, didn't even know about them until now... my fault... I can't hear anything at all... just the little light remains on but there's no booting of any kind, no sounds, no beeps... I have a G5 dual 2.5 Power Mac
QUOTE Thanks
bxl

there is a bit of a click when I plug the power cord back
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

What color is the light that you are speaking of?

I had an issue where I lost power and since I had AppleCare I took it in. Apple reloaded my system that time. The other time I am not sure of what the initial problem was but they tried to replace the logic board.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
bxl

The white light that goes on when you put the computer to sleep... man, I'm freaking out... someone said it could just be some sort of electric resistance (don't know if that's the right word in english)... I'm so afraid that the whole system might be damaged, burned... is that possible from a power cut?
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

It sounds like the power outage and subsequent power surge could have caused some damage to your logic board. You should always use a surge protector and never plug a computer (or any other sensitive electronics) directly into a wall socket. Your best option is probably to bring it to an authorized Apple repair shop for an in depth diagnoses.

Hope everything works out ok, and in the future invest in a decent surge protector!
QUOTE Thanks
bxl

sorry is taking me so long to reply but I'm stealing time from my girl's portable
QUOTE Thanks
bxl

I will man, got the lesson right... if that's the problem can I still get back my system? I'm not under warranty anymore so do you think that's an expensive repair?
QUOTE Thanks
ADKhikerVW

If it is a logic board then yes it will be expensive (probably between $400-600 for just the part), but you probably didn't lose any data from your hard drive. If it is a logic board problem, then once it is replaced your computer should be the same as it was before.
QUOTE Thanks
bxl

well, I've been reading over the Internet that G5 Power Macs just don't make it through the 3 year mark, it's actually quite disturbing... so many folks with the same problem with slight variations but basically the same deal with the Logic board dying after 3 years... any comments?
QUOTE Thanks
bxl

well, i guess i'll have to contact my apple technic service first thing in the morning... got to go to bed now, it's quite late here... thank you very much for your help... you got to love forums!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Thinking of an emac | Triangles in Display »