New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - Questions about eMacs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Macswitcha

Macswitcha is an unknown at this point

What are your thoughts about E mac?

The school I work for is doing away with four of them because of manufacture problems and replacing them with brand new PCs.

They still run good bit the vice principle says that they may crash since there is a problem with the logic board.

he said I can get the logic board replaced for about $400.

If you was in my position, what would you do?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4

Sounds like the dreaded faulty capacitors and I do not believe any eMac is worth that much alas. If they are free grab one otherwise give it a miss.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryb2448 View Post
Sounds like the dreaded faulty capacitors and I do not believe any eMac is worth that much alas. If they are free grab one otherwise give it a miss.
yes, I m getting it for free. So should I grab one? Is it still of good use?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macswitcha View Post
What are your thoughts about E mac? They still run good bit the vice principle says that they may crash since there is a problem with the logic board.
he said I can get the logic board replaced for about $400.
If you was in my position, what would you do?
Welcome to the eMac club - despite what some others say . Yes, it IS of good use.

What would I do in your situation? Firstly, get all the info you can about that particular model of eMac.

Second, search this and other forums exhaustively for information about the eMac and its well-known capacitor issue. Some who've had the capacitor problem have found much cheaper ways than $400 of fixing it.

Thirdly, you may never in fact encounter the capacitor problem. A Tip: do not let your eMac get too hot, as that accelerates the process that causes the faulty capacitors to bulge, and eventually leak; and switch it off overnight, or if leaving it unused for several hours.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Thanks for the heads up. I hope it works just fine.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

If it's the Capacitor issue and I would almost bet it is, if you are good with Electronics and soldering circuit boards, you can change the capacitors yourself. Otherwise it may crash a lot.

Try and find out the exact specs.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Ok...will do...
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Machine Model: eMac
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.2f1

Is this upgradable?

Also, how can I set up the eMac so I can scroll between it and my iMac using one mouse?
QUOTE Thanks
DBrockman13

DBrockman13 is on a distinguished road

Why don't you just donate it to some misfortunate family?
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrockman13 View Post
Why don't you just donate it to some misfortunate family?
I was going to actually give it to my Dad who really needs it. Or, I was going to swapt it with my Dell desk top and give the Dell to my Dad.

What attracted me to it was that the emac has microsoft office 2004 on it. Currently I have pages and I really don't like it. Thus, I can use the eMac for word.

You know though, I appreciate your words of advice. You don't here a lot in here about helping out the less fortunate. There are probably some on here with big money. I am not one of them but I do thank God for giving me what I have by way of having two jobs.

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Santino

Santino is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Also, how can I set up the eMac so I can scroll between it and my iMac using one mouse?
Synergy is what you need i think. It let's you share the same keyboard and mouse with ease.

You need OS X 10.2 or higher.

Intel iMac 24" 2.8Ghz / 4gb
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33Ghz / 1.25gb
2Gb Black iPod Nano 1G
Canon 30D, recently inherited!
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Machine Model: eMac
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 256 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.2f1
Is this upgradeable?
Oh yes, it most certainly is. Nothing you can do about the processor, but memory certainly, which can be taken to 1 Gb maximum. That model of eMac is USB 1, which rather limits options in that respect. You can also upgrade both the hard drive and the optical drive.

Be aware that eMacs have a reputation for logic board capacitor failure. It's well-documented, so do some serious research. You may never experience the problem - here's hoping for you - but if it does occur, there's plenty of advice on Mac forums various about what can be done. Do not buy into the "get an expensive replacement logic board" argument.

Enjoy your eMac - they're a good desktop computer.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

EMac:

Processor: 1GHs PowerPC G4

Memory: 256 MB DDR SDRAM

Hard Drive: ATA-3 Bus HL-DT-ST CD-Rom GCR-8522B
QUOTE Thanks
buenosayres

buenosayres is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.1 Ghz iMac G5 2gb 250hd superdrive / 1.25 Ghz eMac G4/ Powerbook G4 1,25 15' 120 hd 2gb ram

Hi, you can upgrade almost everything in your emac.
Upgrade your ram to 1gb, I have a 1,25ghz emac running 2gb of ram, dont know if 1ghz's are able to.
The HD can be changed for a 200gb or less hd. Mine is with one of 160gb maxtor ide ata100 7200 rpm. I recommend this brand, you will have no compatibility issues.
Also you can install a superdrive, this part is the easiest.
At last you can upgrade your OS to leopard, I recommend Tiger.
Hope this helped.
QUOTE Thanks
Macswitcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenosayres View Post
Hi, you can upgrade almost everything in your emac.
Upgrade your ram to 1gb, I have a 1,25ghz emac running 2gb of ram, dont know if 1ghz's are able to.
The HD can be changed for a 200gb or less hd. Mine is with one of 160gb maxtor ide ata100 7200 rpm. I recommend this brand, you will have no compatibility issues.
Also you can install a superdrive, this part is the easiest.
At last you can upgrade your OS to leopard, I recommend Tiger.
Hope this helped.

Yes it did. Thanks Roughly how much would all the upgrade cost?

I do hope I can upgrade to 2 GB of memory. How would I know if the 1 ghz are able to be upgraded to 2 gb?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Something is very wrong with my G4 | What graphics cards can I put in the new mac pros? »