New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac has black "wavy" sections on the top of monitor

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JerseyF1

JerseyF1 is on a distinguished road

Hi all

I was wondering if you could help me understand if there is something wrong with my Mac.

I have noticed since Sunday at the top of my Aluminum 20" 2.4Ghz Imac little black marks in the shape of little waves. This is only noticable when the Mac is showing a black screen or is in sleep mode. So far it hasn't mucked the image up e.g. the menu bar looks normal.

I have been given 2 different opinions on what to do. One is that if it isn't mucking the picture up (which it isn't) then it should be ok, the other being to take it back. Just wondering if anyone could give me a clear opinion to it.

Attached is some pictures of the problem.

Advanced thanks for help.

Johnny
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00606.jpg (59.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00615.jpg (64.5 KB, 13 views)
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I can't quite tell from your included pictures, but it looks like some sort of interference. Do you have external speakers attached to the iMac which might be close to the LCD?

Try moving your iMac to another location and see if you get the same thing on the screen. If you do and it's not from interference, I would take it on in to your local Apple store and have them look at it.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
JerseyF1

JerseyF1 is on a distinguished road

Hi chscag

I did have some speakers which were plugged in to my TV but not the iMac. These have been unplugged for a few days however the wave things are still there.

Have noticed however that when on a black screen on the screensaver for example, the waves now cannot be seen. It's only noticable when the display is off or in sleep mode.

Johnny
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help, g4 imac won't get passed gray apple logo screen | G4 Quicksilver trying to install OSX - missing HD? »