New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - imac memory upgrade question...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macintx

macintx is on a distinguished road

I am helping my roomate upgrade her Imac. She has a Imac 2.0ghz 17 inch Inter Core2 Duo.

I found that his memory is what she needs:
2GB kit (1GBx2), 200-pin SODIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 upgrades for Apple iMac 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (17-inch) Desktop/PC, CT582914 from Crucial.com

I know she has 2 slots. I know that the maximum apple has listed is 3 gig?

I also have seen people on other forums "hint" that you can have 4 gig in a Imac no problem regardless of what is advised by SJ and Co.

Her two slots have a listed maximum of 2gig. Is it ok for 4 gig, and will this memory work? It seems to be prices quite a bit cheaper compared to $89 at best buy for 2 gig chip and everywhere else online.

Thanks in advance,
JP
QUOTE Thanks
tonedef56

tonedef56 is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 20" Imac 2.16ghz intel core duo , 30gb ipod, 16 gb 3g iphone,PowerBook G4 1.67ghz 1Gb ram

I just did this to my imac last week. I used 1gb stick and a 2 gb stick. some people say you can go up to 4 but from what i read it is not a noticable diffrence. If you try crucial.com they over a system scan. go with what they recomend. iam not a pro but this response is basically what i got .. good luck bro
QUOTE Thanks
maconsteroids

maconsteroids is on a distinguished road

You also might want to have a look at this cool iMac memory upgrade guide

AMFITEATAR - Naucni portal - Upgrade RAM memory on your iMac 20" or iMac 24" Aluminum (models 2007, 2008 and 2009) - DIY Guide

It tells you the type of memory you need to get for the exact model of your iMac
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is this Ram Compatible | CD Reading/Writing Problems »