New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - New to Mac

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MarkTheMac

MarkTheMac is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I'm buying a new computer in the next couple of months and am very tempted to go for a Mac for the first time but I have some questions if they could be answered that would be great!

1. In my work environment I am still going to need Windows for ASP.NET Software development. With Boot Camp will ALL windows applications run on this, along with web servers such as IIS?

2. I also want to play some Windows based games like Football Manager so does the same apply here? I have heard some people say that Windows games generally won't work in Macs regardless of Boot Camp but I'm not sure if they have their facts right.

3. If I can run Windows games in Boot Camp will I be able to upgrade to the top end graphics cards such as ATI Radeon 4870x2 should I ever want to play the top end windows games like Crysis? Or is this only possible on a Windows Machine with compatible motherboard?

4. What is the support like should my machine become faulty?

5. Do they come with Blu-ray and support HD?

6. Will my ISP support then (Virgin media) or will I have to use my internet through the Windows boot mode?

6. Should I go for the IMac or the Mac Pro taking into account what I have said in the above?

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

1 and 2: Bootcamp is just a program that splits your hard drive into two and which contains a few windows drivers for the keyboard, mouse etc. Once you have Windows installed you have a fully functioning Windows machine like any other machine. Every single bit of Windows software will work perfectly - games, Asp.net, anything. It's fully native, not emulated.

You just hold down alt when you start up and you boot into Windows.

3: The graphics card is not upgradable - it's a chip soldered to the motherboard. My Radeon 2600 plays Crysis very well on medium settings though. Other games aren't quite as demanding - I can turn plenty of settings up to high in Call of Duty 4 for example.

4: They come with a year's warranty, after which you can pay for another 2 years if you wish.

5: There's no BluRay support at present, but it'll be no problem to plug in an external drive in the future with the next version of OS X I imagine. You can still download high definition films and watch them right now.

6: It depends on how you connect to the internet. Some cheap ADSL USB modems don't support Macs. 99.9% of ADSL modem routers do though (the ones with ethernet ports)

7: I think the Pro would be overkill. The iMac would be perfect.
QUOTE Thanks
MarkTheMac

MarkTheMac is on a distinguished road

Ok thanks a lot for that.

All sounds good
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iNTEL iMAC 1.83 Ghz | Please help, g4 imac won't get passed gray apple logo screen »