New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Muscle up a G5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kayann

kayann is on a distinguished road

I need advise. I have an iMac G5 Desktop with 20" M9250LL/A (1.80 GHz PowerPC G5, 500 MB RAM, 160 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive)

The hard drive went out. I need to replace the hard drive and I would like to buff up the computer so I can edit HD movies with Final Cut Express. It did not handle 1080i movies very well before.

Can I put a larger hard drive in the computer?
Is there faster memory that would help or a video card?

all recommendations are really appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Here's a good article with a few pictures about replacing an imac G5's internal hard drive. And then you can be the judge if it's too hard for you.
I'm not sure if it voids warranty though.

http://www.dtgeeks.com/index.php/fea...e_replacement/
QUOTE Thanks
iTouch

iTouch is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iPod - iMac

the8thark, posted a good article. Looks very helpful, maybe it will work!
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

unfortunately, there are no card/cpu upgrades that you could perform on the G5, at least cheaply, but i would basically bet on none existing....anyhow, you could get a faster HDD, but that would not help with your 1080i video problem. i hope i could help. Justin.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

Re the hard drive, I would advise that you check out the specs, and get the one with the largest sustained transfer rate and the largest cache. The large cache in particular is really key. If you can get a disk with a 32 MB cache, go for it. You will REALLY notice the difference.

I am driving a Mac Pro, and it originally came with a fairly slow hard drive. I replaced that drive with one with a 32 MB cache and a high sustained transfer rate (105 MB/s I think) and it made a HUGE difference to the overall responsiveness of the machine. I almost halved the boot time and almost halved the average launch time of most applications.

A new, faster and more cache-heavy hard drive is an excellent investment.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks
kayann

kayann is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought a new hard drive and had no problem installing the phsyical drive. However when I run the install disk for the operating system it is not seeing the drive. I bought a

Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM SATA 32MB drive.

Does anyone have any ideas why it might not see the drive?
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

huh, my guess is it is not formatted right. boot from your OS X disk and to into disk utility. if ur hdd is there, try to reformat it into the Mac OS X extended (journaled) format. then it should work. otherwise send the HDD back and get a new one. also make sure the disk is set on primary, not slave. thanks. Justin.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power mac G4 going wireless | HELP! G5 Quad + Dual Studio displays = HOW? »