New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Streaming Video Not Smooth On G4 - How Is It On Yours?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Microshaft

Microshaft is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Powermac G4 MDD 1.25GHz 1.5GB 3x80GB (2 In RAID) 10.5.5

I've just got my new (old) Mac and although it's a quick machine in general use I've noticed that streaming video via YouTube etc isn't very smooth at all, certainly compared to the PC I've come from.

I've heard that Firefox is a bit poor on Mac's but I'm using it as that's what I've always used, however I believe Dementer is a much better browser (I'll try it tonight)?

I'm still running the original 64mb video card (model to be confirmed tonight) but I'd have thought that should be more than enough to watch videos smoothly to be honest....it certainly would be in XP

How does it run on yours, any suggestions to make things a bit smoother - must say that for the spec of the machine (in my sig) which is by no means slow/poor I'm a bit disapointed that it can't do a simple task like video streaming smoothly

Proud Apple User Since 1992
G4 MMD 1.25GHz
G3 iMac 350Mhz
4GB iPod Mini
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Depends on the graphics card. MDD came standard with an ATI Radeon Mac Pro 9000 with 64MB VRAM. This card is not fully compatible with Leopard having no Core Image nor, from memory, Quartz Extreme rendering.

Personally use an ATI Radeon 9600 Mac Pro with 256MB VRAM which is Leopard compatible, has a heat sink and no fam which does assist MDD with heat control and quietness.
QUOTE Thanks
justin_clark93

justin_clark93 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core 2 Duo 1.83 ghz

huh
on my iMac G4 youtube videos run fine...but then again i am not up to grade with video cards considering i have an iMac.
QUOTE Thanks
Microshaft

Thanks for the info chaps, I'll have a look at what card it is tonight

I guess I'll have to put up with it if the only card (ATI Radeon 9600 Mac Pro) that will make streaming video smooth costs as much as the whole machine I don't think I'll bother

G4 MMD 1.25GHz
G3 iMac 350Mhz
4GB iPod Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Microshaft

Yep it's an ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB, it says it's Quartz Extreme compliant but Core Image says "software"

Oh and for the record forget Dementer, it's way worse than Firefox

G4 MMD 1.25GHz
G3 iMac 350Mhz
4GB iPod Mini
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I know with Tiger on my old Sawtooth with an ATI original Radeon and 1.2Ghz after market CPU, You Tube videos were very smooth. Could be what Harry is talking about with 10.5 and your video card. That ATI card of yours is a better card than my old Radeon. I wonder if you installed Tiger if things would be better? Have you tried it using Apples Safari instead of FireFox just to see what happens?
QUOTE Thanks
Microshaft

Tiger isn't a bad idea to be honest, it came supplied with a fresh install of 10.5 which I'm reluctant to delete, but yes I think it's possibly a bit rich for this machines blood.

I'd definately consider 10.4 which should fly on this just to see if there's any difference. If I do it at any point in the future I'll report my findings, might be of use to someone else.

G4 MMD 1.25GHz
G3 iMac 350Mhz
4GB iPod Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

You Tube videos aren't demanding on the GPU. My dad's old ATI Rage 16Mb runs them fine.

It didn't always though - the old ATA 66 hard drive was a bottle neck. Putting an ATA 100 in fixed it.

I'd check your hard drive's up to snuff. Disk Utility doesn't come up with any problems does it?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« is the processor replaceable? | New iMac purhcase decision »