New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 suddenly shuts down, etc.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

featuring.birds

featuring.birds is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 450MHz PowerPC G4 "Gigabit Ethernet"

I recently purchased a G4 tower (Gigabit Ethernet dual 450MHz) for $50 (Craigslist). The previous owner stated that the computer would occasionally shut down or freeze with a kernel panic. Said he was told it was a RAM issue. I have been using it daily (a lot) for about 10 days and it hasn't given me much problem.

A few times it has been hard to start, sometimes I have to try starting it four or five times to get it to boot up, but once it boots it's usually fine. I haven't seen any kernel panics but I have had it shut down randomly a few times, but only after I've left it alone for a while. I was wondering if there are any hardware tests I can do, I'm still relatively new to Mac. It isn't terribly inconvenient, I am using the computer successfully now, but I would like to take care of it before I go upgrading and such.

Help is appreciated, Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Go to this link and download Apple Hardware Test for G4 Power Mac, version 1.2.6.

Apple Hardware Test Images

Drag the .dmg file to the left hand column of Disk Utility, pop a blank CD in to the drive and hit burn. Thagt will make a bootable copy of AHT. Pop CD into optical drive, reboot holding down 'C" and run the full test.

AHT will check the memory, logic board and other checks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cell phone interference? | Faulty number pad on keyboard! »