New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - Freezing Problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scubagal

scubagal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive

My eMac has been sick for awhile. I goobered it up to begin with by accidently transferring files from my PB to the eMac and messed up some system files. I would completely lock up and the 3 key force quit wouldn't even work. I tool it over to the Apple store and they performed an archive and install of the OS which is 10.3. Unfortunately they sent me on my way after that without checking to see if it worked properly. I got it home and began to download the updates like the tech said and it imediately locked up. The force quit diod work this time. I'm not sure what to do at this point except take it back to the store which is a real hassle since it is in another town. I was hoping someone could give me some info on things to check to try and fix the problem. It is an eMac running OS 10.3, with 1 GB RAM. It originally had 256 MB RAM but I upgraded it. So, any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Do you have the Panther install disc in order to erase the drive and do a clean install?
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

This is what I would do if I were you:
If you do not have the Panther disks for the eMac, buy them off of ebay.
Save everything you want from your hard drive and then wipe it clean. It has an internal system error which is a royal pain to get rid of without just a clean install.

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
daveinpoway

daveinpoway is on a distinguished road

Would something like Disk Warrior be able to fix this without requiring a complete re-install?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Who knows? Use DW 4.1 personally but is going to set you $100 to find out.
QUOTE Thanks
scubagal

scubagal is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PB G4. 15" 512MB RAM & EMac G4 superdrive

I could not find the restore disc that came with the eMac but I had one for my PB and used it. I guess it didn't work because it still froze up when trying to do the updates. So, since the techs at the Apple store did an archive and install it means that the old problem is still there requiring a clean install? Should it have the original RAM in it for the install or is the upgraded 1 GB ok?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

No, the PB restore disk wouldn't work with your eMac. It requires disks that are specific to that model and OS, in your case Panther (I gather).

No, the replacement/upgraded RAM should not affect installation of a fresh OS.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Monitor Fading | OSX freezing, graphics corruption, HEEEEEELPP!! »