New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Virus Warnings and other questions for you - HELP

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Death Church

Death Church is on a distinguished road

So, for the past week or two I have been un able to power up my G5 tower until yesterday morning. I believe it has to have something to do with a power outage that happened in my neighborhood a few weeks ago and it never shut down correctly. Anyhow, I would plug the power back into the tower and the power light would come on but nothing. Do any of you have any explainations of why this could of happened?

Secondly, since the computer has been up and running it has been running perfectly with no problems, but I continuously receive messages telling me "your computer is running at half its normal speed. You might be infected with a virus, adware, spyware ect." And it then asks me to go through a virus scan and tells me there is infected data on my computer, but logically I don't have any viral scan software on my computer this is all just coming through Safari. Is my safari infected with something that might infect the rest of my computer? please keep me updated with what you think could be the problem. I have had this computer for almost 4 years. I don't have a single audio file, picture, or movie file on it everything is backed up onto externals so, the only things I have on my hard drive is the software to run these initial files...

i'm lost here.

thanks

Marcus
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Hi Marcus - firstly, there's most unlikely to be a 'virus' on your Mac. The website you're visiting with Safari is trying to trick you into using its software, probably designed for Windows, to gain access to sensitive files on your computer. Only you can allow that, thanks to the MacOS firewall, which you need to set to as much security as reasonable.

It's very important not to be taken in by the flashing sign "your computer may be infected with blah-blah-blah, run our *free* virus scan software now!" If it a genuine Mac trojan, and there are a few of them about (eg. the DNSTrojan), you would need to allow it to get into the MacOS by giving your password. NEVER do that.

Last - if you know the name of the this 'virus' you mention, and where it may be coming from, you can check its authenticity with a Google search.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

To the first part of your post - the power supply. Why you would lose the startup power for a while, and then have it begin working again, is a mystery. Have you reset the PRAM? You may need to reset the PMU as well. Check this and other forums, also Google, for how to do both those things if you don't already know.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Quote:
but I continuously receive messages telling me "your computer is running at half its normal speed. You might be infected with a virus, adware, spyware ect."
Where and when do you get these messages?
QUOTE Thanks
Death Church

Death Church is on a distinguished road

Quote:
To the first part of your post - the power supply. Why you would lose the startup power for a while, and then have it begin working again, is a mystery. Have you reset the PRAM? You may need to reset the PMU as well. Check this and other forums, also Google, for how to do both those things if you don't already know.
I have no idea how to do this but I will check it out soon.

Quote:
but I continuously receive messages telling me "your computer is running at half its normal speed. You might be infected with a virus, adware, spyware ect."
Where and when do you get these messages?
I got them randomly the other day. I wasn't doing anything specific. I never allowed anything to 'scan' so i believe I am alright so far.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

They're just animations and can't do any harm. I suspect you've been to a couple of sites with popunders ie. a window that appears behind your browser and you only notice them later when you close a browser window.

Make sure you have pop ups blocked in your browser settings.
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

ooooops
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Mini Dilemma | external hard drive keeps cycling? »