Echo from Soundcard
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Echo from Soundcard
    Ok, so my fiancé's Mac Mini has suddenly gotten a weird echo from the soundcard (not just an echo, but it also sounds like the tracks are muffled). I have deduced that it is not the cable (used 3 different cables, including one with a ground-loop isolator), it is not the Onkyo receiver or the specific jack she is plugging into (as I plugged her into my MBP jack and it still happened), it is not the tracks (as they play fine on both her iPod, and when I connect to her iTunes library from my MBP) and it still happens when she is using headphones.

I am HOPING that it isn't the soundcard itself, even though she is within warranty, she uses her computer everyday for school and that would be a gigantic hassle. SO, any other ideas????
    masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am

Echo from Soundcard
    Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, Yosemite
    You've just about eliminated everything but the sound card itself. It's a good bet that the sound card is defective. Have her take it on in to Apple since it's still under warranty. They may be able to repair it while she waits or perhaps even swap her machine out for a new mini.

Be sure to backup her hard drive before taking it on in. Use something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner which can create a bootable backup to an external drive. If Apple decides to swap the entire machine out, she can be back up and running in no time by restoring the bootable backup.

Regards.

Echo from Soundcard
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro Unibody
    Quote Originally Posted by chscag View Post
    You've just about eliminated everything but the sound card itself. It's a good bet that the sound card is defective. Have her take it on in to Apple since it's still under warranty. They may be able to repair it while she waits or perhaps even swap her machine out for a new mini.

Be sure to backup her hard drive before taking it on in. Use something like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner which can create a bootable backup to an external drive. If Apple decides to swap the entire machine out, she can be back up and running in no time by restoring the bootable backup.

Regards.
    Yeah I kind of figured that I had already eliminated everything. lol. I just did a backup not 2 days ago using SuperDuper, so I guess it's off to the Apple store.

masakatsu agatsu

@lifeafter2am

Thread Information