New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - help with Powermac G4 no video

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Smartz

Smartz is on a distinguished road

I run a series of Powermac G4s and have done so for years. When one of them recently died i bought a job lot of 3, all dual processor 450's from Ebay.

When they turned up Parcelforce, the courier damaged the box by dropping it and when i checked all the machines one did not boot.

Now here comes the confusing bit. It bongs but there is no video. I don't have a standard CRT monitor but connect them up to as Toshiba TV come monitor.

I can hear everything working inside and popped in a Tiger disc to hear it do the boot from CD to installation. But no video....

I tried swopping a graphics card between one of the other machines but they alas neither machine would work with each other's card...

So I'm left scratching my head. I did the olde Apple/Option PR and did the reset but still nothing. I don't want to buy another graphics card if its dead but it does sound alive.

Can anyone come to my rescue?? Matt Burton England.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Is the power staying on?

Are all the cables to the drives securely in

Is the RAM firmly in place.

Do you have an old PCI video card to test if it is the AGP slot that has gone
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Hi, the computer remains powered on and i've tried and tested various ram with no effect. Sadly i don't have a PCI card available to me. But one thing i did notice,the other computers had on the graphics cards a little extra leg towards to the rear of the graphics card near the back of the machine. The problem powermac graphics card doesn't have this but does still fit in the slot. Could someone have stuck in a PCI card by mistake into the agp port?
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

anyhow, there is no reason why an AGP card from any of the other macs doesn't work

is the processor card in place?
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Well there is a large silver heatsink in place over the dual 450's. I've not checked to see if there is a good connection. But surely there would be no Apple bong if there was an issue with the CPU because i thought this was part of the initial test.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Try zapping the PRAM. That worked for me with that exact issue once. Right after the Chime Hold down Command+Option+P+R all at the same time and keep them down till 2 more chimes sound off then let go. If you still have no video, not sure what is up, but do report back.
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Hi guys. I did clear the PRAM and no difference. What's particularly annoying is the fact that everything else seems fine and is making all the right sounds.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

All 3 are identical machines correct and you have swapped video cards from a working one and still no video. That is a strange one. Since resetting the PRAM did not work I wonder if there is some damage to the mainboard from the fall. I had a G3 B&W shipped to me by DHL and they literally threw the box and broke the one side in pieces but it worked then all of a sudden died and it was some hairline crack on the mainboard that showed up later.

If I can think of anything else I will for sure post it here.

Just thought of one more thing, Find the CUDA button on the motherboard (Don't remember if the 450 Dual had that still. That brought one back to life for me also but it was an older Yikes G4 that used the G3 B&W board.
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Mhhhhmm I remember reading out this Cuda button in the Apple manuals I have. What is this a dip switch and where is it located?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1939?viewlocale=en_US

Look at the pics down the page for the G4 models. The Dual 450 sounds like a Gigabit Ethernet. That is the 2nd pic under the G4 section.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Also try checking the graphics card is still firmly seated on the defective machine by undoing the screw, remove entirely, check seating tabs, and re-inserting all the way until it is tight.
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Hi guys, i did the pram, and also the Cuda button and still no video....argghhh.

Any other suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

Kick it?
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Here's a weird development. I found an old MX geforce PCI card. It was not a Mac one so i stuck it in regardless. The machine booted as before with a good bong. Then to my surprise I had a very interlaced with artifacts screen. In the middle of the screen was the finder/OS missing folder. It was hard to make out but definatly there. I then added a Tiger disc to the drive. It booted up the Apple logo in grey and then showed the spinning fan loading. It would get to the point where normally it would move to the next screen and freeze.

So what do you think this means? Dead AGP port, dead agp card or something else altogether???
QUOTE Thanks
Smartz

Kick it- I'll bloody take it down to the river trent and take it for a swim in a minute..lol
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Processor Upgrade? | Echo from Soundcard »