New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Pentium 4 in G3...?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TheNugzMan

TheNugzMan is on a distinguished road

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I recently acquired an Apple G3 with the power PC processor.. After some research I found the graphical lag is normal due to the slow processor. My question is this...

I have a Compaq with a Pentium 4 processor and a fried hard drive, and I read that some G3's come with Intel processors, could I replace the Power PC processor with the Intel Pentium 4 from my Compaq?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Where did you read that some G3s came with an Intel processor? There was (at one time) an add in card that contained an Intel processor that could be placed in certain Macs in order to run Windows. I'm not even sure how long ago that was or even which models it worked with.

The answer to your question is no. If you want a faster Mac, buy a newer model.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

No way.

Different sockets, different architecture.

Any graphical lag with your G3 could just as easily be caused by the slow hard drive and low memory anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
MacGenius24

MacGenius24 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 ,1.67 GHz,120 GB hard disk; Slot-Load SuperDrive DVD±RW/CD-RW

Sorry There Right... Can't Put A Pentium On A Mac? Buy A Faster System Dude

G4 1.33 GHz, 1.5 GB RAM, 60 GB Hard Disk, Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW). Mac OS X 10.5.6
G3 400 MHz, 512 MB RAM, 120 GB Hard Drive, Combo Drive (CD-RW/DVD-ROM), Mac OS X 10.4.10
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Power Mac G4 quicksilver optical drive removal | help w/old OS X »