New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - How to Sanitize old Hard Drive Before Donation?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JollyDog

JollyDog is on a distinguished road

Hello. I've got two old Macs that will be donated to charity on Saturday. First, I need to be 100% certain that all my old banking, social security, etc. info has been deleted from the hard drives.

I can't seem to find freeware or shareware for this one-time use. Can you help me?

The first-generation iMac (8.5.1) is my primary concern. The Performa 6115CD has a monitor problem, so I may have to take off the pizzabox top and physically yank the hard disk out of there. Is this a simple operation?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

- JollyDog
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

boot from the install cd/dvd, open disk utility, do a 7 or 35 pass erase on the drive, reinstall the os.

i've not used 8.x for some time, but I think you can do this. may be called drive setup on 8.x. hmm, now im not so sure you can do this with that old OS.
QUOTE Thanks
JollyDog

A "7 or 35 pass erase" is only for Mac OSX, not for 8.5.

"Burn" is the most search-returned product, but it's no longer available.

Are you 100% certain that Mac install discs have the capability of completely sanitizing a hard drive? I thought that only specialty, third party applications could accomplish this goal.

THX.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

You can boot up from the 8 restore disks, the old classic disk utility was called Drive set-up, I am not sure of the options in there but do an erase a couple of times and that should stop anybody short of the FBI from getting anything off there

From there you can install the original factory software

AS for the performa, IMO it is best mothballed, its a very old mac

thje original imacs were great machines (by then Jobs had returned)
QUOTE Thanks
JollyDog

Thank you for the reassurance. I've erased the iMac hard drive and re-installed the OS. Now that you've put my mind at ease, I can donate it worry-free.

I just yanked out the hard drive from the Performa and hope that the recycling center has a spare so that the unit might see some use in the future.

MAC FORUM ROCKS. Thanks, everybody. Have a beautiful summer!

- JollyDog
QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

The 100% way is drive a big nail in it with a hammer.
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Not so. I've seen true stories on TV and such where they recovered data from drives that had been bashed around, had nails through them, been in a fire and one was even lost out at sea for a few weeks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple memory vs. kingston/crucial | Mouse & Keyboard Problem »