New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - G4 wont boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Choobus

Choobus is an unknown at this point

I got a power mac G4 for free from school. The school got it from some computer lab up north, my school system do not work on macs, so they gave it to me. When I try to boot the computer up it turns on, but shows me a file icon, with the finder symbol repeatedly switching to a question mark. The lady who gave it to me said the motherboard might be bad, but I do not think she knows for sure.

So, what steps could I take to fix it? If it is the motherboard could I replace it?
Or should I junk it?
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

johnwd5 is on a distinguished road

First thing you could do would be to boot and hold the option key on the keyboard. Do you see the hard drive icon in the middle of a couple of arrows ? you'd highlight the HD icon and click the right pointing arrow and it will boot to start up disk.

What does the specs say on back of the machine ? There should be a little silver label near the plug input.
QUOTE Thanks
Choobus

I hit control, I see a refresh cymbol and a right arrow. I see no hard drive. It said it was made in 2000. it does not have a dvd drive
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Looks like the machine is searching for an operating system. Any chance school formatted the hard drive and now it is blank?

Think you will have to get retail Panther or Tiger CD's as it has no DVD, and it probably is a G4 PCI Yikes machine. Here are specs if it is that model:-

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...ac_g4_350.html
QUOTE Thanks
Choobus

Yes, I think you are right. I need a tiger CD. All of my tiger/leopard cds are in DVD format. Where could it get old versions of mac? A bit torrent site or something?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choobus View Post
I hit control, I see a refresh cymbol and a right arrow. I see no hard drive. It said it was made in 2000. it does not have a dvd drive
That should be Option (not Control).

If 2000 was its year of manufacture, your model of G4 may be the 'Mystic' version (ref: Mactracker), and will run a DVD-ROM. Search eBay (or similar) for a 2-hand unit and pop it into your G4. That way you can read both CD and DVD, and you can use the disks you've already got.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute

In fact maybe go even further than hughvane suggests and pop a DVD burner in there. They are pretty simple to fit, you will find how to's at www.xlr8yourmac.com. A Pionner DVR-115DL here in Australia is available for $39.00 and that would be cheaper that purchasing new discs?
QUOTE Thanks
Choobus

Well, I installed a DVD drive that I had on an old PC. I also put in 768 MB of ram. I put in the leopard disk and the intall process began. It went a good ways until it said something like, leopard could not be installed on this computer. I think i need a version of Tiger or Jaguar. The lady who gave me the G4 has every version of mac since OS 8. So i will try loading tiger today. I will report any progress.
QUOTE Thanks
johnwd5

johnwd5 is on a distinguished road

if the dvd drive you installed is a burner you might be able to update the firmware, via patchburn. google patchburn and see what you come up with.

Just because leopard is the newest OS doesn't make it a good match for your G4, free or not. Like harryb said, it won't handle it.

Stick with 10.3, run all the updates, or 10.4, depends how fast it is, you'll need more ram too.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

Leopard will not install unless the machine has an 867MHz processor as the minimum requirement, and from its age no way will it install, or handle, Leopard.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Moving Red Pixels all Over my screen! | G5 Superdrive Stuck. »