New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - more ram please ?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mojofilter

mojofilter is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.

Hi !

I've just got my hands on a used G5 2.5Ghz Quad, I've upgraded the ram to 8gig and I was wondering if it's worth maxing the ram out or not ?

I'm going to be using Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects etc and was wondering if it was worth popping 16gig of ram in the machine ....

Thanks in advance,

mojo
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Probably not. With 8 Gb of memory you should have no problem whatsoever using Photoshop and Illustrator. What you might consider though is a faster larger hard drive to speed things up.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Bear in mind that CS3 is still 32 bit, so any one application can only address 2 gig maximum. So photoshop will not really gain an advantage until a 64 bit version is released

8 gig is tons anyway, only after effects will see any advantage, but I dont know if that is still 32 bit as well
QUOTE Thanks
mojofilter

Mac Specs: MacBook 2.16 Ghz Core 2, Apple PowerMac G5 Quad, iPhone 3G, Ipod Classic 160 gig.

Thanks for the info ...

mojo
QUOTE Thanks
mojofilter

Ok so my mind's been wondering about this ...... Why would anyone get 16gig of ram in their machine if it's of no use to them ...

Are there some applications/processes that would benefit from the extra ram?

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but I have no idea how computers work and I'm just interested in this ..

Thanks,

mojo
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Some people just want the best of everything. Cause they can. You know bragging rites or something. Even though they know it's overkill and expensive they do it anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

Same question why do people buy a motor car with a top speed of over 180 mph to use on roads with 60mph max limit? Status symbol!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac Noob eMac question! | Problem with Mat****a DVD Burner »