New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Cable connection

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

officehelper

ok. I'm just filled with problems today.

Took the iMac home got it hooked up to the cable modem, lights are one everything looks fine, till i try to get online. it says i'm missing a usb software device. So I call comcast and no one can help me (they don't help people with os systems less than the newest version of 9)

anyway, here I am trying to get on with my new computer and I'm stuck using this stupid PC

anyone have any idea how to help me?
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Newest version of 9 for what? Doesn't your iMac use OS X? A USB software device? man this one is beyond me, I've never heard of anything like that before.. if you could give us more info that would be great.. like your system specs, if your hooked up directly to the modem or if there is a router between you and the modem.. stuff like that.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Like Murlyn, suggested. What kind of Apple product are you using? If you are using Comcast like I am, I assume that you have an ethernet cable modem (rj45 jack).

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Did you try going to the manufacturer of the cable modem, maybe you could go to their support section, and see if they have something that might help you.
QUOTE Thanks
rberry88

rberry88 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 17" Flat Panel iMac -15" 1.5GHz, 80GB HDD, 128MB ATI video card, 1GB RAM- PowerBook

Comcast in my area used to try to give USB cable modems out when they could get away with it, not sure if they still do this. If they did stick the OP with a USB modem then you just need to call them up and tell them you want to switch it for an ethernet modem. Or, if you want to buy your own then I would suggest getting the Motorola SB5100 ($65 USD) and save the $5/mo rental fee they charge.

Looking for a PowerMac G4 for $500 or less USD.
QUOTE Thanks
iWhat

iWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond reputeiWhat has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

rberry88's suggestion sounds the best, just switch modems, if possible.
QUOTE Thanks
officehelper

got it. first i remembered that when comcast came out they put an adapter on the ethernet plug cuz my PC didn't have an ethernet plug, so I took the USB adapter off and plugged it in to the mac. however it still didn't work. Finally comcast (got a nice lady for once) told me to switch the ethernet ends, and recycle power. it worked.

and I'm using iMac with os9.1. don't have memory to upgrade to osx yet
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Rep Sony Superdrive in Flatpanel 17. Jumpers? | G5 and 3rd party airport problems »