Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1

    Member Since
    Sep 20, 2008
    Unhappy G4, USB, and Burning Smell
    So I was trying to plug in something into the USB port and it wasn't fitting properly. So I lost my temper and forcibly jammed the cord into the USB port, which caused some kind of short. There was a plastic burning smell and then the computer shut off. I tried to push the on button and the button briefly lights up, but the computer still doesn't turn on. I opened up the cube and hit the rest PMU button. That didn't work... I'd appreciate any suggestions.

  2. #2

    harryb2448's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 28, 2007
    Nambucca Heads Australia
    iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.11
    Oh dear. Sure it was not a firewire cable or the USB upside down?

    Looks like you have shorted the logic board. Try this link and let us know if you have any success - fingers crossed:-

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. MacMini burning smell but still works
    By LucD in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-21-2013, 10:46 AM
  2. Burning smell from audio input issues
    By buurrr in forum Apple Notebooks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 06:33 PM
  3. disable usb and burning cd via software ?
    By ksatria_77 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2007, 09:12 AM
  4. I smell something burning!
    By IceCreamMan in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-27-2007, 03:12 PM
  5. Nasty Burning Smell !!
    By onedog in forum Apple Desktops
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 11-19-2005, 05:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts