New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Gap in the range?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

newbimac

newbimac is on a distinguished road

Why is there not a machine in the range to bridge the gap between the Mac Mini and the Mac Pro?

I don't want an all in one machine as i alreadyt have 2 x 24" NEC monitors. the mac mini is too limp wirsted and the mac pro is far more computer than i need!

Why can't we have something in between at around the 800-1000 mark to bridge that gap?
QUOTE Thanks
skaheadpunk

skaheadpunk has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule

I guess that's something you should ask Apple? I suppose the iMac is the mid-range, but if you don't want an all in one thing...

Hmmm...
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

People have been clamoring for such a device for quite some time. I wouldn't expect Apple to do much about it though

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
mick_aka

mick_aka is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, GeForce 8600M GT 512MB.

We really do need another mid-range PowerMac type machine, I also have the issue that I have a really nice dual widescreen monitor setup with my g4 PowerMac but want to go intel mac, but for me the base model single processor Mac Pro is just too pricey!

And I'm sorry but I'm really not in love with the design of the Intel and G5 all in ones, the G4 iMac was a work of art.
QUOTE Thanks
cheez

cheez is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15,4" 2,2Ghz - Nvidia 8600GT - 2Gb Ram / iPhone 1st Gen 16gb

I hope that one day we will see a mid-range desktop mac...
I have the exact same problem right now...but i think ill go for the MacPro...not much i can do i think...macmini aint for my job, iMac, umm i already have a better monitor and i dont really like the idea of the iMac, so...MacPro is the only solution...

Everything Happens For A Reason That Serves You...
QUOTE Thanks
B&O

B&O has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.

The same here. I am just planning to buy a MacPro next year sometime (I hope). I was going to got for a new iMac. I am even considering another MBP but mine is less than two years old and is still very fast. I just want something to play a few games (nothing major) and one that I can edit on.
QUOTE Thanks
aj-uk

aj-uk will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro, 8 core 2.8GHz 14GB RAM, Geforce 8800GT, Dell 3008WFP

Perhaps purchasing a PowerMac G5 second hand might suit the section of the market you're referring to?

I've heard they're still very capable machines.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Apple's midrange desktops are the iMacs and it does not seem likely that they will change that with a cheaper MacPro. I think it is quite a good way to clearly brand the machines (although the highend iMac can not really be called midrange.....).
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Intel Core Duo iMac can't detect external display | Upgrading iMac G5 RAM »