New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac 333mhz upgrade

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

officehelper

I've read the posts and I'm still debating. I have a 6gb 64mb 333mhz power pcG3 iMac. it currently has 9.0.4 I have sys disks. These disks are from our new purchases of the eMac. Will these disks work on the iMac? if not how much will os x coast me and is it worth it.

I know I need to put more memory in it, but I want to know what I can do with the iMac. It ill be used mostly for the internet and pictures.

what kind of things can be added to this to make it work well.

Db
QUOTE Thanks
Badger

I have the same 333 model and it will work well with OS X but it will not be a speed demon. Yes, you'll need more memory. Apple says OS X will work with 128mg but that is unrealistic. I would add 256 mgs. Since you have either 2x 32mgs or 1x 64 megs you will end up with either 288 or 320 total. If you really want to get the best from this model get 2x 256mgs and max it out at 512. Since OS X takes about 3 GBs to install you may also want to replace the hard disk with a larger size. Just be sure to partition the disk so that the 1st partition is less than 8 GBs and install the system in that partition. Look up this model at www.lowendmac.com for details. You'll need to get a retail version of OS X. The disks from Apple are keyed to specific models and generally don't work with other models. The real issue here is whether you'll want to spend about $300 - memory and OS X - or more on a 5 year old computer.
QUOTE Thanks
officehelper

thats my issue I'm looking at getting a power book (when I can afford it) but have to wait till after dental work (ugh) so I'm looking at a year or so with this mac. If I get one 256mb and leave the 64mb and leave the hard disk with the 6gb will it still work with os x
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by officehelper
thats my issue I'm looking at getting a power book (when I can afford it) but have to wait till after dental work (ugh) so I'm looking at a year or so with this mac. If I get one 256mb and leave the 64mb and leave the hard disk with the 6gb will it still work with os x
Yes, it will work decently, and by playing around with the options in the OS X installer, you can slim down the amount of space required to install it so that you'll have a bit more HD space left over. By the way, I noticed your other thread regarding these iMacs being replaced with eMacs, and was wondering what your plans were for the rest of the iMacs. Do you plan to sell them?

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
officehelper

no I think my boss actually promised them to a school or something. he asked me if we had eight and we actually don't because i fried the video card on one. is there no way to fix a video card? I was trying to install osx. I didn't know about firmware. so when it asked I hit stop installation and now it's gone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Boot from an external HD | erasing a HD »