New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Stripping a G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JOHNNYR

JOHNNYR is on a distinguished road

Hi there
I have been given a G4 but it is full of old files and random bits and bobs, I want to strip it right down to as it come out the box status. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to how to do this. Is it a case of rebooting of the CDs that come with it??

When that is done I'll need advice as to how to get in up to date with the recent OSx systems

Any help would be much appreciated

J
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

I would do three things and they are dead easy.

1) Buy a new HD say 300+ gigs and change the hard drive. The old G4s need a larger drive for todays files.
2) Max the RAM in the machine (probability is 2GB is max)
3) Buy Leopard OS 10.5 (will be Black disk).

Insert the RAM, HD, DVD disk and start and follow the instructions. It will do everything you need. Fresh drive fresh OS. Life cannot get better. It will prompt you to update and let it.
QUOTE Thanks
nugat

nugat is on a distinguished road

I think the G4 Power Macs are limited to a 128GB hard disk using the onboard controller. But you can do what I did and install a SATA PCI card, such as the Sonnet Tempo. Then you can fit whatever size SATA hard disk you like
QUOTE Thanks
Chilbear

Chilbear is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5

Ah yes this is correct it has been a while. The info regarding the eSATA is an excellent idea rather than be limited to the 128GB drive limit. Will the OS installer see the HD hanging on the PCI card from a fresh HD install is the question that comes to mind. Perhaps you can format the new HD and install the new OS on it then "remove" the original HD from the startup sequence by pulling the power connection from the HD and leave it in place.

Perhaps before you "strip" the machine compare costs to go new or one gen old from the refurbished store. I passed my G4 867 to my son and bought new a few years ago.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNYR View Post
Hi there
I have been given a G4 ... Is it a case of rebooting of the CDs that come with it??
When that is done I'll need advice as to how to get in up to date with the recent OSx systems
Which G4? There were 11 models of them. I did a lot of research yesterday into the hard drive size debate, and from the G4 Quicksilver No 2 onward, drives larger than 128 Gb were supported without the need for a PCI card. I suggest you download Mactracker, a free utility app, and trace the model that you've been given.

Regarding OS, that depends on which G4 you have, but Mactracker can advise you about that as well.

Other online resources for the G4 include:
www.lowendmac.com
www.everymac.com
QUOTE Thanks
nugat

nugat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilbear View Post
Will the OS installer see the HD hanging on the PCI card from a fresh HD install is the question that comes to mind.
Yep it certainly does. You can do a fresh install without having any other drives connected The only thing that doesn't work is target mode, as you have to use the onboard controller for this.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using wireless keyboard and mouse during restoration. | Connecting to TV »