New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - Is switching an Emac and and MDD Powermac worth it?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Superhamuel

Superhamuel is on a distinguished road

I have a friend who has an MDD 1.25Ghz g4 mac he doesn't use very often at all. He doesn't care too much about speed, he just uses an extra computer every now and then. I currently use a 1Ghz Emac, and he would be willing to switch his MDD and my Emac. One problem, though. I read on wikipedia something about not having a DDR frontside bus which made it only run at 50% speed (so I'd be trading 1Ghz for 600Mhz). Knowing Wikipedia is not the best source of info, I went to check with you guys to see if it would be worth it to do the trade. Thanks for any help you can give!

Oh and could I transfer some of my RAM from the Emac into the MDD, because it only has 256 by default.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Check this out to help you decide (be aware it's a very noisy machine): http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...25_dp_mdd.html
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

If it is a dual processor model, particularly the FW 800 model, yes. It will run at 1.25GHz and you will be able to install leopard, if desired, proving it is not a 600MHz processor.

DP are dual 1.25GHz, not dual 600MHz to make 1.25. For a single processor, probably not such a good swap as you also will have to shell out for a display.
QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhamuel View Post
I have a friend who has an MDD 1.25Ghz g4 mac he doesn't use very often at all. He doesn't care too much about speed, he just uses an extra computer every now and then. I currently use a 1Ghz Emac, and he would be willing to switch his MDD and my Emac. One problem, though. I read on wikipedia something about not having a DDR frontside bus which made it only run at 50% speed (so I'd be trading 1Ghz for 600Mhz). Knowing Wikipedia is not the best source of info, I went to check with you guys to see if it would be worth it to do the trade. Thanks for any help you can give!

Oh and could I transfer some of my RAM from the Emac into the MDD, because it only has 256 by default.
I think there is some confusion here. The RAM speed is not affected by the CPU speed and will run at 1.25ghz. The DDR frontside bus is 167mhz. This may vary depending whether you have a dual processor in the G4 tower or a single.

What you were thinking was dual channel RAM using DDR. This does not affect anything when it is not in effect and only will speed things up assuming the motherboard supports it (I do not know if the G4 MDD tower does).

You will not be able to switch the memory between the to. The eMac 1ghz uses PC133 SDRAM while the G4 tower uses PC2700 memory. Only the eMac 1.25 and 1.42 would be able to switch ram sticks with that G4 model.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: There is a chance that you may have PC2700 memory in your eMac. I was reading another thread stating that this is possible. Check the system profile under the apple menu and it will tell you there what kind of memory your eMac uses.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Optical Drive Problem- Will not open | Using wireless keyboard and mouse during restoration. »