New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac DV 400Mhz (M5521) Kernel Panic on CD Boot

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Mr Jon

Mr Jon is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBook pro 17.0", 2.33 Ghz, 320 GB HDD, 3.5 GB Ram

Howdy all, i've got another problem that has just plain stumped me. I have a friend who gave me an iMAC DV to revive. It boots fine and its a bit slow and has a bunch of junk on it. So like the genius I was decided to upgrade the ram to 256 MB from 64, and attempt to install OS 10.3 on it just for fun. However it never got that far. When I boot to the OS 10.3 CD by pressing "C" on startup I get a kernel panic and it spews out the usual white text and the machine freezes. I've zapped the PRAM and can successfully boot to the original OS 9 disk. I'm also under the impression that some iMac models cannot be upgraded as such. If I cant use OSX i'll happily Install 9.2.2 from the standard 9.0.4 it came with if 10.3 isn't doable. Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Jonny

QUOTE Thanks
Robert Gordian

Robert Gordian is on a distinguished road

Look at the boot-rom version (system profiler). It should be: 4.1.9. If it's not, report back. (or go here: Firmware update iMac G3)

Important! If it is not 4.1.9, please do not insert the 10.3 disk again until you've upgraded the firmware.

Robbie
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Jon

Gaah no kiddin. I also discovered I need to upgrade 9.0.3 to at least 9.1 first before I can install the firmware update. Thanks for that!

QUOTE Thanks
Mr Jon

Well the FW has been upgraded to the latest, the os up to 9.2.1 however unfortunate though it does not seen to have solved the problem. How odd, I'm truely out of ideas now, but hopefully there are some last ditch attempts I can try! Hopefully somebody out there has an answer

QUOTE Thanks
Mac SK

Mac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the roughMac SK is a jewel in the rough

You have to upgrade the boot firmwear before you install Ten to 4.1.9 or you can kill the Imac,its called death by Ten. The unix code can burn up the video chip and the machine will not restart.
QUOTE Thanks
Robert Gordian

Robert Gordian is on a distinguished road

What kind of 10.3 cd's do you have? Black (retail) or grey? Is the cd player OK? Do the cd's mount on another Mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Mr Jon

I had the Black retail disks, and I upgraded to 4.1.9. Oddly enough, I booted into 9.2.2, set the startup disk as the Panther CD and magic, it booted successfully and installed just fine. It runs quite well, though it reports 192 MB of RAM rather than 256, unless 64 MB goes to shared video. But after ripping my hair out i'm glad to have arrived at a solution without any noticeable problems except for incorrectly reported memory. I also think the HDD is about to fail, also the CD drive sounds rough. It's gonna be in service for proably another 5-6 months and will soon be replaced with a 24" iMac. This is why I love mac... the useable lifespan of them is incredible.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Finally bought an iMac... wow! | Sawtooth AGP, what memory to use... »