New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

mini - Apple Remote not working!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Scorpio123

Scorpio123 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I woke up to quite a strange problem today... My Apple Remote is no longer working with my Mac Mini! I tried all the controls, including launching front row, and the volume controls - but no go...

I even tried it in Windows BootCamp under iTunes, but it still wouldn't work..

I tried pairing it in System preferences, but again, it wouldn't recognise my apple remote when i held down the Menu+fast forward keys for 5 seconds...

The weird thing is, it works fine with my iMac on another floor (out of plain sight from my Mini..), and it isn't paired with the iMac or anything...

Any idea what the problem might be? Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

Maybe your IR sensor on the mini is disabled? Check System Preferences > Security to see if the IR sensor is enabled or not.
QUOTE Thanks
Scorpio123

Scorpio123 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, its enabled... I tried disabling it and re-enabling it, but it still didnt make any difference...

Its so strange, coz it was working fine yesterday, and I hadn't done anything special in the last 24 hours lol..

Thanks for the reply though... Any other ideas what it might be?
QUOTE Thanks
fash

fash is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 24" iMac 2.4 Intel C2D, 4GB RAM

maybe your infra red sensor is covered on your mac?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Dead batteries?

You can check by pointing the remote at an iSight or other digital camera and pressing a button... if it still works you'll see a little blinking dot on the camera's screen.
QUOTE Thanks
goobimama

goobimama is a jewel in the roughgoobimama is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)

^^ Says it works fine with another Mac. I guess it means that something wrong with the IR sensor on the Mac mini. Unless of course he has covered it as fash says. (the IR sensor is right where the CD slot is btw)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac 2.8ghz 24inch. How to connect to a tv using VGA? | G5 power issues »