New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - all-in-ones(prtinters)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

georgiajune

georgiajune is on a distinguished road

Have definitely decided on an iMAC desktop--however, having hard time deciding on an all-in-one printer or to go with a separate printer and scanner. The APPLE store that I have gone to carries an EPSOM all-in-one, approx. $240 (Canadian), I'm going to be doing MANY old photos for family albums, plus eventually be doing brochures, cards, etc for a home-based business. Would appreciate helpful comments ASAP, as this purchase will be very soon. Thanks so much.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiajune View Post
Have definitely decided on an iMAC desktop--however, having hard time deciding on an all-in-one printer ... I'm going to be doing MANY old photos for family albums ... Would appreciate helpful comments.
May I recommend Canon. Affordable, they work really well with Mac, and are economical with ink (if that is a consideration). A client and friend has been doing a lot of what you plan to do with old photos, and he has had excellent performance and results from his Canon Pixma 470. There are higher-spec machines in the Pixma range, but there is the cost factor to be considered:
http://www.canon.ca/english/index-pr...&gid=2&sgid=20
QUOTE Thanks
georgiajune

Thanks a lot for the info--still on the fence about whether to go to an all-in-one or separate printer and scanner--would appreciate other opinions--thanks again g
QUOTE Thanks
Tahiti1028

Tahiti1028 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac | 30GB iPod Video | 16GB iPod Touch

I used to swear by HP all-in-ones, but their most recent line has obviously been cheapened up in regards to cartridge size and ease of use. I returned two brand new, $100+, HP all-in-ones because of these issues and purchased a $75 Canon all-in-one (MP470) which has been, hands down, the best printer I've ever owned or used. The print quality is excellent and it is SOOOO easy to use!

I'd avoid Epson as well as Lexmark and HP.

My iMac: 1.6 GHz PowerPC G5, 2 GB (2x1GB) Kingston RAM, 80 GB ATA Hard Drive, DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo Drive, 17" LCD Display, NVIDIA GeForce FX5200, Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard
QUOTE Thanks
macgig

macgig will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 20" 2007 Aluminum iMac 2.0 Ghz | 4 gigs ram | 10.6.8

I vote for separate devices.... because you can upgrade either device later if you want too.... and if the scanner breaks, you can get it repaired and still have a printer for example....

guess I'm weird like that
QUOTE Thanks
karudzo

karudzo has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM

My Canon all-in-one is great (MX310), only cost me $29 after rebate when I bought my new MBP.
QUOTE Thanks
georgiajune

Thanks all--think I've decided on separate scanner and printer--if something goes wrong with one, I can get just it fixed or update. Seems like I keep coming back to likely a Canon, and need it to do more than 4x6 pic, also 5x7 and 8 1/2 x 10--would like opinions on best to buy ASAP--thanks
QUOTE Thanks
georgiajune

CANNOT believe that I actually spelled Epson as Epsom!!!!!! As I'm having even more trouble with my PC, have totally decided to go with the 20'' iMac and then will decide on a separate scanner and printer, after browsing Consumers Report and this forum. I know that I will go with Canon brand on both, just not sure of which model---want to be able to do 4x6, 5x7 and 8 1/2x11 pic. Any suggestions, much appreciated--thanks g
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.8 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.5.8; G4 eMac 1.25, 2 Gb, OS 10.4.11

Printer - either the iP2600 or iP3500. Just check the specs carefully, because the brief summary doesn't quite match the full Specs detail in terms of picture size.

Scanner - if you want to do slides as well as documents and photos, then you need the 4400 or 8800, but they're pricey.
QUOTE Thanks
georgiajune

Hi all--made the BIG move and have bought the iMac desktop--wow---there's lots to learn and I'll be taking advantage of the 2 free classes. I'm totally confused as to when or if I'm to be installing the 2 OS X discs? I will be looking for a separate Canon scanner and printer---no slides involved. THanks for any help--g
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Just to be clear, you've bought a new G5 Intel iMac - right? Niiiiiice!

If so, the two disks that came with it are system restore, used for fixing if something goes wrong. Disk 1 is used for that - it can fix both system and hardware issues. They are your iMac model-specific disks, not full retail Leopard 10.5 install ones. Put them in a safe place, hopefully you won't need to use them.

The iMac should have arrived with OS 10.5.x installed, not sure if you'll need to do updates just yet. In any event, your iMac should be ready and raring to go. Let us know, either by public post or private message via this forum how you're getting on with your new purchases. Congratulations - enjoy!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sleep mode | Power Mac G5 Dual 2 GHz freezing »