New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - !!!Purchasing Advice First-Gen G5!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

clark6789

clark6789 is on a distinguished road

I am looking into purchasing a friends first generation G5. here are the specs i know so far:

First generation iMac G5.
1.6 GHz processor
1 GB memory RAM
80 Hard drive
OS X 10.3 (Panther)

is this a good buy for only $300? are there things i should look for when i go look at it tomorrow? any known issues with first-gen g5's i should know about? i'm not well versed in apples, just windows based computers, but would like to own an apple and maybe make a complete switchover.
QUOTE Thanks
clark6789

clark6789 is on a distinguished road

any advice would be good, guys and girls. i'm seeing stuff all over the net about fan problems...could someone elaborate?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The price is right and the G5 is still a very good machine which should serve you well. As far as seeing "fan problems" regarding the G5 on the net, consider this: folks write into forums such as this one when they're having difficulties. The overwhelming majority of G5 owners (and owners of other models) have no problems whatsoever.

Examine the machine carefully, try it out, and use your eyes and ears to detect if there is anything wrong.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Speeding up an old G3 | Graphics card error? »