New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

eMac - G4 - OS possibilities?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

macluddite

macluddite is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 80gb imac. 2gb RAM.

Hello Friends,

Just joined this knowledge pool and hope to learn more about what I've just bought:
eMac 1.42GHz PowerPC G4 brand new in box, bought for an office IT capability but sat unused. It's the 80gb non-superdrive model loaded with Panther.

I'd been looking for one for a little while to replace my hard-worked hot-rodded G3 [Panther OS], so I'm happy with my purchase.

I'm going to put as much memory in it as I can [a pair of 512's is max I believe?], so that it's as fast as possible. The main question is: I know it will operate Tiger but, will it operate Leopard and would I even want it to?

Here in the UK, several people have told me that Tiger is magnificent because all bugs are ironed out and it's highly developed: the same cannot be said of the new OS apparently? I've not used either. Maybe a pre-Intel chip machine can't cope with Leopard, I just don't know.....any help very much appreciated.

What's involved in getting rid of the eMac's current OS please - I won't be needing the Panther [10.3.9] that it comes with?

thanks for your kind attention,

Jules
QUOTE Thanks
belunos

belunos will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: First gen Mac Pro, Dual 2.66

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

Only took a min to find that your system will take leopard.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

If you want to continue operating any Classic (OS 9) applications, then stay with Tiger. Yes, it will operate Leopard, especially with that maximum RAM. In order to get Tiger or Leopard you'll need to purchase a full retail version of either. That model of eMac is a very good computer, and should be free of the infamous capacitor issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, i7 2.66Ghz, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by belunos View Post
http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

Only took a min to find that your system will take leopard.
You know, that's not all that helpful... the OP is asking for advice and a point of view, not just 'yes your machine is capable of running Leopard, here's the link'.

Jules - Tiger is a great OS, and most applications will still work fine with it. However your machine will run Leopard. It's worth noting that not all G4's were created equal, and the eMacs G4's were the least equal of them all (they lacked the L3 cache I believe). Additionally it got short changed on the GPU as well. The Radeon 9200 lacked shader support (needed for some of Leopard's effects).

You may be able to upgrade to 2GBs according to some sites, but officially it only supports 1GBs.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is stoned to death.
- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

Stick with Tiger.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post
Tiger is a great OS, and most applications will still work fine with it. However your machine will run Leopard. ... (they lacked the L3 cache I believe). The Radeon 9200 lacked shader support (needed for some of Leopard's effects).
You may be able to upgrade to 2GBs according to some sites, but officially it only supports 1GBs.
You're right about the Cache Zoolook, that model of eMac has both L1 and L2; but the graphics card is a 9600 with 64 Mb DDR (ref: Mactracker and http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...emac_1.42.html) And yes, unofficially, 2 Gb RAM is supported. Wow, that eMac will really hum!
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Zoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud ofZoolook has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
You're right about the Cache Zoolook, that model of eMac has both L1 and L2; but the graphics card is a 9600 with 64 Mb DDR (ref: Mactracker and http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...emac_1.42.html) And yes, unofficially, 2 Gb RAM is supported. Wow, that eMac will really hum!
OK, the 9600 was pretty good, especially for the price as well.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
macluddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughvane View Post
If you want to continue operating any Classic (OS 9) applications, then stay with Tiger. Yes, it will operate Leopard, especially with that maximum RAM. In order to get Tiger or Leopard you'll need to purchase a full retail version of either. That model of eMac is a very good computer, and should be free of the infamous capacitor issue.
Thank you so much...I can leave all the OS9 apps on the G3, so that's not a concern. I heard that only the full retail discs would guarantee proper running, but I didn't know about any 'capacitor problem'.....I thought I was avoiding problems completely by buying the last of the line in new-in-box condition. Now that seems questionable too?
QUOTE Thanks
macluddite

Quote:
Jules - Tiger is a great OS, and most applications will still work fine with it. However your machine will run Leopard. It's worth noting that not all G4's were created equal, and the eMacs G4's were the least equal of them all (they lacked the L3 cache I believe). Additionally it got short changed on the GPU as well. The Radeon 9200 lacked shader support (needed for some of Leopard's effects).
Thanks for the explanation: I don't appreciate the L3 cache or GPU significance I'm afraid and don't understand the inequality analogy:- apart from the lack of superdrive [not needed] and the larger 160gb HD [not needed], I thought I'd bought the best of that range - now I'm not so sure?
QUOTE Thanks
macluddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strimkind View Post
Stick with Tiger.
Thanks - again, an interesting observation. Are you able to explain why I should do that..as I've already said, I have no experience of either?
QUOTE Thanks
macluddite

Quote:
And yes, unofficially, 2 Gb RAM is supported. Wow, that eMac will really hum!
I'd heard a whisper that this was possible BUT Apple don't recognise it.
What are the potential pitfalls of running a pair of 1GB cards....does anyone know?
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

Quote:
Originally Posted by macluddite View Post
I'd heard a whisper that this was possible BUT Apple don't recognise it.
What are the potential pitfalls of running a pair of 1GB cards....does anyone know?
To answer a couple of your concerns ...
Capacitors - the infamous eMac capacitor problem had been identified and rectified before the 1.42 model was put out. You should not experience any such problem with your eMac. You have indeed bought the best of the eMac range.
RAM - as far as I know there are no pitfalls other than buying bad (cheap) RAM. There's a lot of discussion/debate about brand, but the two names that tend to rise above the flak are Crucial and Kingston (just don't buy RAM from Apple, it's too expensive). The type is PC2700 DDR SDRAM. I'll leave it to you to source a supplier but many US contributors go online to OWC http://eshop.macsales.com/ for Mac-specific supplies.

To enhance your forthcoming experience with your eMac, make sure you visit these two sites:
http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...emac_1.42.html
and
http://lowendmac.com/imacs/emac-2005-1.42-ghz.html
A very useful application to have on your eMac is Mactracker, which is regularly updated to include the latest Mac computers.

Enjoy your machine - I think my eyes are a slight jade colour.
QUOTE Thanks
xj6jaguar1985

xj6jaguar1985 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Run Tiger instead of Leopard on your eMac. Although the eMac can run Leopard, it runs applications slower on Leopard because there is more memory devoted to running Leopard, similar to PCs:
When I was big on PCs, I had a 1.63 GHz IBM T41 Thinkpad. Yes you could run windows vista on it, but a lot more of the system resources were being devoted to running vista on it, compared to the extreme which would be windows 98 which takes little to no resources to run it. Hope that makes sense to you!

Yes my name is Jaguar.
No, it is not a joke.
I don't find your "I'm a cheetah." joke funny.
QUOTE Thanks
Zoolook

Quote:
Originally Posted by macluddite View Post
Thanks for the explanation: I don't appreciate the L3 cache or GPU significance I'm afraid and don't understand the inequality analogy:- apart from the lack of superdrive [not needed] and the larger 160gb HD [not needed], I thought I'd bought the best of that range - now I'm not so sure?
Your machine is a good find, don't worry. However the PowerMacs at that time, with the same speed CPUs, were even more powerful. In fact you can see YouTube demos of 1.5ghz G4s running 2 or 3 3D games at the same time with 10 or 20 other apps running, it's insane. For an 'entry level' machine, the eMac was pretty good.

- Joan D. Vinge

QUOTE Thanks
macluddite

Thanks so much to all who have helped crank-up my knowledge: belunos, hughvane, Strimkind, Zoolook and xj6jaguar1985 - I'm now happier that I ain't bought a dud!

Still not sure whether anyone would actually recommend running a pair of 1GB Ram cards?

Also, what on earth do I do to change the OS that the eMac has shipped with please. The seller has Tiger discs to send me BUT the Emac is equipped with Panther from new?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« A Clever Idea? | Slow iMac (Help!) »