New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - Screen grab/shot colour problems

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jake_Lee

Jake_Lee is on a distinguished road

Hi guy!

I'm having a problem with the screen shot tool (cmd-shift-4) on my new iMac.

I work as a designer so colours are obviously very important. When i use the screen grab tool to select an area it darkens the colours in the outputted file. I've come off a PC and this wasn't a problem on there and is obviously very annoying.

Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Cheers

Jake
QUOTE Thanks
falcontook

falcontook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram

instead of using command-shift-4 try opening up the Preview app, then go to File>Grab>selection and then drag the crosshairs. The image will be in .tiff format and might improve the screen cap
QUOTE Thanks
Jake_Lee

Hey thanks for the reply

That worked which leads me to think that it may be something to do with the screen grab option saving the files as .png's.

Do you know if there's a way of changing the file format for how the screen grab saves the file?

Jake
QUOTE Thanks
falcontook

falcontook is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.4 Ghz 2GB Ram 200GB Hard drive, Mac Mini 1.5 Intel Core Solo 512Mb Ram

there might be possibly, but thats out of my expertise haha. I think the "cmd-shift-4" is a system service and the Preview Grab is app specific
QUOTE Thanks
Jake_Lee

Right i think it's got something to do with having dual monitors. (Just to clarify i wasn't screen grabbing off one monitor and viewing it on the other.)

It seems that the screen shot tool was taking a colour profile off the other monitor even though it wasn't in use and is the second display anyway (very annoying).

I had both screen using different colour settings but i have them both using the same now and it seems to have solved the problem, although the screen shot tool seems to output images at the smaller screens resolution.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please help save a dying imac! | Do Imacs have »