New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Won't let me rename

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

James

James is a jewel in the roughJames is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2.66 - 4 Gig Ram, iMac G5 2 Gig ram 20"

I have run into a bit of a problem using iTunes. Every now and then i come to a mispelled file and it won't let me rename it for some reason. I check the info on the file and set all the permisions to read/write, but for some reason it refuses to let me rename the file itself. I can change its name in iTunes ok, but not the actual file. Anyone know why, and what can i do to change the file name itself?
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

what format is it? was it bought in ITMS?
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
what format is it? was it bought in ITMS?
It is in the mp3 format done at 128. It is a rip of an old 33 1/3 record. Plays just fine, but for some reason i can not change the name of the file. I am thinking of letting iTunes convert it to a mp4a and see if I can edit that...
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

is it locked? if not, Im not sure, but send me the file and Ill see if theres a problem. view my profile for my email.
QUOTE Thanks
James

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman
is it locked? if not, Im not sure, but send me the file and Ill see if theres a problem. view my profile for my email.
No, it wasn't locked in any way, just for some strange reason it would not let me rename the actual file itself. I ran across about 6 or 7 files that would not let me rename them that day.

However, today I go back and look at the files, and now i can rename them.. I GOT SPOOKS!...(G) All I can think is I got a glitch somewhere that went away after a reboot...(Memories of the PC world where a reboot cured a lot of things)...

Thanks for the offer to look at the files...
QUOTE Thanks
James

Darn if it didn't do it again today, and rebooting solved the problem again for awhile, then it did it again, again a reboot fixed it... I don't think it is an iTunes thing as i had another window open to the files and it wasn't letting me change it there....Have i found a quirk/bug of OS X?

How about it some of you old timers with OS X...does it sometimes lock a file and refuse to let you edit/rename it until you reboot? Sure seems that way...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PM 7300/500 HD Size Limit ? | Mac G4 400 MHZ PowerPC SATA DRIVE? »