Thread: MDD Won't Start

MDD Won't Start
    Hi,
    I am new to this forum and I have a rather major problem.
    I have a Powermac G4 MDD and my friend recently gave me his mdd for parts. Wondering what I could do with it, I saw a post on xlr8yourmac.com http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/mdd_c....html#storytop
    With it i hoped to cool down my PS so and CPU to quiet down the fan noise. Well I took my friends case, which seems to be an older model case than mine, cut a hole in it, and took everything from my computer and put it into his case. Now, when i try to turn on the computer the power button's light goes on, and nothing else happens. What did I do wrong? How do I fix this without bringing a mac with a big hole in it all the way to the apple store. (it would be kind of embarrassing to explain that). Any help or input would be VERY appreciated

Specs:
    Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
    Did you take the PSU from your case or did you keep the original? If it is the original, you may want to swap the PSU. It may be the PSU that he was having problems with.

I am using the PSU from my case. When that one didn't I tried the PSU from the other computer, and still got nothing. I even tried switching the PRAM batteries and that didn't work either.

Specs:
    Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233
    Do you hear the HD spin up and any fans turn on?

If so, Did you make sure all the RAM, the CPU and the video card are seated properly?

no they don't start up, neither do the fans. And there is no light on the motherboard. I did make sure that the video card and ram were firmly in place but i still get nothing but the light on the power switch when i attempt to turn it on

I just brought it to the apple store and the "genius" was baffled. Basically he said his best guess is a broken power supply (i don't think it is because i tried a different one and that didn't work), a fried logic board, or a broken power button. Its possible that its the power button but I'm not sure because the light still goes on when I hit the button. He said it would cost thousands of dollars to diagnose the problem. Did I end up totaling my computer?

Specs:
    Imac 27", 3.3GHz, 512 flash storage, 16GB memory, macOS Sierra.
    Sounds like it. Problem with moving power supplies on the MDD is the board sits very close to the box, and an extra dab of solder touching the metal case and the power supply shorts out.

May be worth taking the power supply apart and looking for flash burns on the rear of the box. This link shows how to do it and the flash burn:-

http://www.gkgraphics.com/home/news/...ly/index.shtml

Thread Information