New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - MDD Won't Start

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

smartbomb

smartbomb is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I am new to this forum and I have a rather major problem.
I have a Powermac G4 MDD and my friend recently gave me his mdd for parts. Wondering what I could do with it, I saw a post on xlr8yourmac.com http://xlr8yourmac.com/systems/mdd_c....html#storytop
With it i hoped to cool down my PS so and CPU to quiet down the fan noise. Well I took my friends case, which seems to be an older model case than mine, cut a hole in it, and took everything from my computer and put it into his case. Now, when i try to turn on the computer the power button's light goes on, and nothing else happens. What did I do wrong? How do I fix this without bringing a mac with a big hole in it all the way to the apple store. (it would be kind of embarrassing to explain that). Any help or input would be VERY appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

Did you take the PSU from your case or did you keep the original? If it is the original, you may want to swap the PSU. It may be the PSU that he was having problems with.
QUOTE Thanks
smartbomb

I am using the PSU from my case. When that one didn't I tried the PSU from the other computer, and still got nothing. I even tried switching the PRAM batteries and that didn't work either.
QUOTE Thanks
Strimkind

Strimkind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Lombard 400, 190cs, Wallstreet 233

Do you hear the HD spin up and any fans turn on?

If so, Did you make sure all the RAM, the CPU and the video card are seated properly?
QUOTE Thanks
smartbomb

no they don't start up, neither do the fans. And there is no light on the motherboard. I did make sure that the video card and ram were firmly in place but i still get nothing but the light on the power switch when i attempt to turn it on
QUOTE Thanks
smartbomb

I just brought it to the apple store and the "genius" was baffled. Basically he said his best guess is a broken power supply (i don't think it is because i tried a different one and that didn't work), a fried logic board, or a broken power button. Its possible that its the power button but I'm not sure because the light still goes on when I hit the button. He said it would cost thousands of dollars to diagnose the problem. Did I end up totaling my computer?
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz OS X.9.4 and OS X.10

Sounds like it. Problem with moving power supplies on the MDD is the board sits very close to the box, and an extra dab of solder touching the metal case and the power supply shorts out.

May be worth taking the power supply apart and looking for flash burns on the rear of the box. This link shows how to do it and the flash burn:-

http://www.gkgraphics.com/home/news/...ly/index.shtml
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« noob Xserve question... Looking for a good guide | G5 (Ambient Light) Keeps Crashing During Boot »