New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - What would be best

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Idofotos

Idofotos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.25 mirror front

Im running a G4 dual 1.25,2 gig of ram & running heavy photoshop processes and seem top be running out of memory a lot, My Nikon D3 & D300 files are so big Im having problems handling them, Im thinking of Upgrading to a Mac Pro, here is the question on Ebay I can get a dual quad core 2.8 with 320 gb hd and 2 gig of
ram for around $2500. or I can get a similar configured 3ghz for around 3,000
I would like to stay under the $3000. mark so I can add some ram and hard drives, would I notice a big difference in the 2.8 compared to a 3ghz, all other things considered equal ram & hd? Thanks for the info. Im also considering wiping the G4 which I have 2 of and installing Leopard as a clean instal, I think that would help but kind of have my mind set on a new one that will let me add more ram
Dennis
QUOTE Thanks
the8thark

the8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to allthe8thark is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

The apple refurbished site might be just what you're after. Just check back there often. As the site is often updated with more computers there. And it's much safer than ebay. Even right now they have quite a few good Mac pros for around your $3000 mark.

And the difference between 2.8 and 3.0 and even 3.2 is not really noticeable under must normal circumstances. Even with multiple apps running. Sure your video might encode a toucher quicker but that's it. Actually for heave video/photo editing or game playing the GPU would be more worthy to look into.

Apple Refurbished (US).
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...m=CertifiedMac
QUOTE Thanks
Idofotos

Idofotos is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 1.25 mirror front

Thanks thats what I thought, sometimes I look to get the best available but my budget doesnt allow me to I have been watching the refurb but just not ready to buy today, What is the GBU ? Im not familiar with it, Im hoping to get a Dual quad 3ghz and add about 8 gigs of ram and a few nice medium hard drives, Ive gotten about 5 years of excellent service out of the G4 so I hope the next one will last that long
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cube Upgrade | Mac Mini + Microsoft Keyboard »