New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Mac Pro - Mighty Slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joe.morgan

joe.morgan is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

Had my mac pro around 2 years now and I have re-formated about 4 or 5 times. Why? Because all of a sudden it becomes very slow. Like now for example, I haven't changed anything, haven't installed anything but the whole system has just turned mega slow! Safari has crashed 4 times trying to write this thread, programs take ages to respond, opening new tabs in safari takes a good 5-10 seconds.

The whole system is just super slow and the only thing to fix it, is to re-format.

I try macjanitor, onyx, clam XAV, macsweeper. None of it helps. For example if I click on finder and then apps. It takes a good 5 seconds to show them, dashboard is very laggy etc etc

Here are my system specs:

2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon
4 GB RAM
1 X 250 GB - Main HDD (around 30Gb left)
1 X 200 GB - Uni work (around 100GB left)
1 X 500 GB - Multimedia (around 100GB left)

Boot up times are slow, sometimes it wont chime and I have to turn off mac for 10 mins and start it up again to get it working. Sometime the keyboard and mouse till take 5 mins to work.

It is all very random and I wish I didn't have to re-format ever time it gets lagged down but I dont know of any other option?

Help!!
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What OS do you have installed

Do you have tons of fonts open

What tasks are you running in Onyx

Sorry for all the questions but there is usually no need to reintall OS X very often
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

Mac Specs: Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD

I am running 10.5.4

How do I check if I have tons of fonts open?

In Onyx i run the automation and do everything apart from clean fonts and rebuild folder display

Thanks for your help

Joe
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

I have tried cleaning fonts and still no difference. I can hear the hdd working overtime all the time. this takes me back to my bad PC days when it would take me ages just to surf the web!

any help appreciated
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

im afraid I give up - time to reformat!
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Maybe time for a new hard disk!
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

It could very well be possible that you have faulty hardware. There is no other explanation for why a fresh install of OS X would run so slowly on such a powerful system. I get the feeling that you might have bad sectors on your hard drive that tend to grow as you use the system, and every time you format, OS X gets installed on the good sectors and works fine until those sectors eventually go bad.

Do you have AppleCare? If so, there should have been a disc included that runs hardware tests. Pop that in and see if it can find any hardware issues. If you don't have one, give Apple a call and see if they can perhaps help with diagnosing the problem.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

Hi Kash,

thanks for the help. After re-installing OSX I didn't notice much of a difference (still being very slow) so I think your right, there is a problem with the hard drive. Do you suggest me running tests or just purchase a new drive?

Thanks again,

Joe

*EDIT* Seeing as hard drives are so cheap now I think I might just get a new one and start a fresh:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/130826
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

run your Apple Hardware Test disc for errors.
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

Although I have applecare I have a feeling the disc is "stored away somewhere safe" is there any other way for me to run the test? I have the leopard disk if that helps?
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

You might run the Install disc if it includes Software Install. There might be a volume for the test on it. I've heard of the test being downloadable from Apple if you have Apple Pro Support. Maybe applecare applies idk.
QUOTE Thanks
joe.morgan

I think I know why things have gone bad, we had a power surge a week or so back which killed my mum's laptop and my dad's PC also having hardware problems.

i tried holding down D with the leopard disk in and no luck - I will search for the applecare disk and go on apple to see if I can find anything

thank you all for your help
QUOTE Thanks
Alexis

Alexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the roughAlexis is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Have you tried resetting Safari?

It builds up crap over time which can slow the whole system.
QUOTE Thanks
deltron

deltron is on a distinguished road

I recently upgraded my mac pro to 6gb ram. How would i know if the sticks arent working or if its defected? Its working now (i assume), but Ive heard that it breaks down sometimes especially if the brand isnt that great.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

Did your Mac Pro come with Leopard or Tiger? The Hardware Test would be on the DVD that shipped with the machine and not an After the fact Leopard DVD you later purchased.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Advice on buying second hand | New to Mac (help) »