New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

G4 fell over

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DailyStar

Hi guys, Im new to macs and I just started a job where I manage nothing but macs Anyhow, this morning one of the guys knocked over a g4 and now it wont turn on, I opened it up and checked all the peripherals and wires. The mainboard shows a red light and nothing else. The moniter comes up gray with a folder in the middle and a flashing question mark and then the finder symbol. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Thanks a million
QUOTE Thanks
stillimation

stillimation is on a distinguished road

look and see if the HD is plugged in because that ? in the folder means that the computer cannot find the OS and that is a bad thing
QUOTE Thanks
Oscardms

Oscardms is on a distinguished road

If the hard drive is still plugged in you might have to reinstall the software unless you have a program that can recover the data on the hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
immdb

immdb will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook

Being a sudden jolt, it could have caused a head crash which would make the hard drive inoperable.

I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by immdb
Being a sudden jolt, it could have caused a head crash which would make the hard drive inoperable.
I agree.
If the HD cable is correctly fixed, and it still shows the "?" means it can't find a system on the HD. And a sudden jolt while accessing the HD can cause it's immediate destruction.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« fastest way to connect mac to pc | iMac G5...Turning display off? »