New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Monitor flickers at startup, then fine, just started

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

EarlsMac

EarlsMac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro/MacBook Pro

I have a MacPro 3 GHz Dual Core Intel, OSX 10.5.4, SMC version 1.7f10, Boot ROM Version MP11.005C.B08; ATY, RadeonX1900 (Hope this is a hardware issue)

Owned it for about nine months, working fine; normal shutdown, powered up and obtained substantial monitor flicker before starting; turned off and performed the reset for the SMC, it started fine, but when I powered it off again and restarted, I received substantial monitor flicker until it got to the blue screen. Logged in and the monitor and the computer works fine. I have had power spike issues at the house.

Any recommendations or thoughts? Is the video card getting ready to go out?

Earl
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS 10.10.1

Firstly open her up, do a clean for dust and make sure the card is seated really firmly and tightly.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree with harry. Re-seat the video card or move it to another open slot. Power surges occurring often enough can cause damage to components. I have had that happen with various cards in my PC. If you're in an area susceptible to power surges, it's best to buy and use a good UPS with built in surge protection.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlsMac View Post
I have a MacPro ... ATY, RadeonX1900 (Hope this is a hardware issue) Any recommendations or thoughts? Is the video card getting ready to go out?
What type of monitor - CRT or flat panel; and how old? If the former type, it may be a faulty tube which settles down once warm. In addition to the video card check and cleanup mentioned, check the cable connections.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Cannot add printer to my printer Q!!! | No Power G4 - Will hard drive contents be OK? »