New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

iMac - iMac G5 sound issue

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

snikro

snikro is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G4 / 1,42Ghz / 1GB / 100Gb / Superdrive / 10.4.11

I have a rev. A iMac G5, and it works great other than the fact that occasionally some system sounds (trash emptying, notification popup, etc) will be replaced with what I can only describe as a short, sudden buzz. Sometimes it happens but many times it doesn't, and if you have the speakers turned up to any reasonable volume it can be startling. I've tried to research the problem and even reset the PRAM in case that may have helped but to no avail. Anyone have an idea about this?

Ps. The iMac had the PSU and logic board replaced a year ago because of the infamous leaking capacitors, but I don't think it has anything to do with the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Intermittent problems are usually the most difficult to resolve, especially if it turns out to be hardware. You've already reset the PRAM so I guess the next step would be a backup and reinstall to eliminate any software issues. If the problem persists and remains intermittent, I would just live with it. If finally the sound goes out altogether, then it might be worth taking it in and having it repaired.

Regards.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mini restarts at setup. | Cannot add printer to my printer Q!!! »