New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Power Mac - Please, help! Apple 20'' cinema to Powermac G4

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cell

cell is on a distinguished road

We had an old powermac G4 (500mHz/AGP) running tiger 10.4.11. Boss just gave his 20'' cinema HD LCD (aluminum) to me. I connected it, only appear the apple logo, then black screen. Please help me how to get it run. I am using 15'' apple studio, too small. I also checked, video card is AGP DVI-D, and cinema is single DVI-D.

Video card is ATI rage 128 pro/16M, is it too old. Thanks so much
Apple cinema is A1081
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

What jacks are on the back of the ATI Rage 128? I have that very G4 500 Sawtooth here but I put in a newer ATI Radeon card so forget. I remember something like a VGA and a ADC on the back of the stock ATI Card but it's been ages!

I remember it being a Apple ADC connector on the card.
QUOTE Thanks
cell

Thanks. It looks like DVI-D on this link. 2nd pic on fig 1

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1825
QUOTE Thanks
cell

by the way, it also has VGA port. But I checked these DVI to VGA adapter, all can only support resolution of 1600x1200. That 20'' cinema 's optimum is 1900X1200. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I will check around and get back to you. I might just try and find the card and put it back in and see what happens on my Viewsonic monitor hooked up DVI. What connection was your older monitor? DVI or VGA?
QUOTE Thanks
cell

Thank you. I had 15'' apple studio (Gray) with DVI.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
Thank you. I had 15'' apple studio (Gray) with DVI.

It's going to take me a while to find the card, but read this very carefully when it give the specs on that video card. I was pretty sure that the 16Meg ATI card would not support more than 1600 x 1200 and that is what it supports. Low End Mac is very accurate.

http://www.lowendmac.com/ppc/sawtoot...ac-g4-agp.html
QUOTE Thanks
cell

I search around, Someone said:

1.Because digital signal is passed in both DVI-I and DVI-D, a DVI-D male connector can be used with either DVI-I or DVI-D females. A DVI-I male connector, though, can only be used with a DVI-I female.

I got DVI-D female on video card, probably that's why. I can see the apple logo though.

2. he also said:
The display will plug in, but the Rage 128 Pro is an old card and may not be able to run at the resolution needed for a 20" or larger display.

I guess I have to live with 15'' screen.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Or you can find a ATI Radeon Mac Edition used on Ebay. Like I said I will try it and get back to you but I am pretty sure he is correct. I remember issues like yours with that old ATI and newer DVI monitors.
QUOTE Thanks
petenick

petenick is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 1.83 2gb RAM 60g HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
by the way, it also has VGA port. But I checked these DVI to VGA adapter, all can only support resolution of 1600x1200. That 20'' cinema 's optimum is 1900X1200. Thanks
The 20" aluminum displays optimum resolution is 1680x1050 according to Apple's website.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMac fan speed ?? | Is This Ram Ok? »