New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

Mac Pro - Not recognising more than 6gb

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hunter

Hunter is on a distinguished road

I just purchased a new Mac Pro 2 x 2.8 quad xeon, it came with 2 x 1gb ddr2 FB-DIMM 800mhz, i've tried to add an extra 4 x 2gb ddr2 FB-DIMM 800mhz matched pairs in banks 2,3,4

The memory is recognised in only bank 3, it seems bank 2 and 4 are not working, or am i doing something wrong?

Thx in advance

MacBook Pro 17", Core Duo 2 @ 2.4ghz, 2GB, 160GB
QUOTE Thanks
Wilcon

Wilcon is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Quad Core 2.66, ATI 1900, 5 GB RAM, 750 GB Storage

I would suggest pulling the factory RAM, installing 2 sets (4 sticks) of the new in the appropriate banks. See what you get then add the next set. Mac Pros work the best when both boards are used so the first 2 matched pairs one should be on each board. Do a search there is a layout recommendation for adding RAM in the best order.

There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

There are two types of IT problems in the world. PEBKAC and ID 10 T's.
QUOTE Thanks
Del

Del has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ

Yeah its my guess that you got the layout of the banks wrong, its an easy mistake to make.
QUOTE Thanks
mac57

mac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant futuremac57 has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, 256 GB SSD, 2 TB HDD, 8 GB RAM

The Mac Pro will "see" at least 8 GB of RAM - that is what I have in mine and it all shows up. Keep working at it, you will get it.

My Macs: iMac 27" 3.4 GHz, Mac Pro 3.2 GHz, PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 GHz, G4 Cube with 1.2 GHz Upgrade
My iStuff: 64GB iPhone 5, 64GB iPad4, 30GB iPod Video, 16GB iPod Touch
My OS': Mac OS X Lion, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, Mac OS X Tiger, Mac OS 9.2.2, openSUSE 10.3
I was on the Mac-Forums honor roll for September 2007
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« graphic capabilities on 20" imac | G5 2.0Ghz and ATA133 PCI card ? »