New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

My G3 300mhz - Apple Profiler kept quitting!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

powercat

Hi

I wonder if any of you knowing what the problem I'm having. Every time I launch apple profiler and looking up system details with "more info" button and it kept quitting every time I launch it!! The rest other of applications going okay with no problems and no freezes or crashing. I'm using Panther OSX.

On my machine that I received, it has 3 different 128mb ram which total 384mb. One has viking symbol -SDRAM PC133 SDRAM, One got no name - SDRAM PC100, one has Apple logo label on it - SDRAM PC100. I had quite had difficulty adding a real apple logo 256mb PC100 SDRAM from Beige G3 on this alone but it get erratic behaviour like some apps quit and get a message like Please restart, hold down the power button few seconds....and whatever it is. I cannot add extra memory like Hyundai 32mb PC100 SDRAM.

Any suggestions?

Regards

AussieDownUnder
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

have you tried launching system profiler from the utilities folder? also, try repairing permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
powercat

I have tried launching System profiler from Utilities and still it quit.

I know the pc shop down the road and they sell OEM 256 PC133 SDRAM and they wouldn't be compatible for G3 B & W Tower?

I will have to run repair permission.

Regards

AussieDownUnder
QUOTE Thanks
powercat

I repaired the repair permission and try again launch system profiler and it unexpectedly quit error.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

did you restart after repairing permissions? you may have to reinstall system profiler.
if you have the discs to install panther, you can use pacifist to extract the .pkg file that installs apple system profiler, and reinstall it. or do an archive and install to install the os again leaving all your apps, settings, etc the same.
QUOTE Thanks
powercat

I had restart computer for sure and try again with no success with system profiler while other applications doing perfectly.

How can I use pacifist to extract .pkg file that install apple system profiler and reinstall it?

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

ok, downoad pacifist from versiontracker.com, insert install disc 1 of panther, open pacifist and click 'open mac os x install packages', itll read from disc 1, then itll ask for disc 2, then disc 3, then disc 1 again, have them all handy, when its done reading all packages, itll give a list of stuff, I think under the essential applications drop down arrow will be apple system profiler somewhere, or it might just be called system profiler, when you find it, click it and click extract to on the top, save it to your hd, when its done, quit pacifist, ehect the disc, open the file you extracted and follow installation instructions.
QUOTE Thanks
powercat

Hi

I downloaded the pacifist from versiontracker and that handy. But after I found system profiler and extracted to hard drive to replace it. I launched again but stilly ol thing kept unexpectedly quit after I click About Mac and click "more info" and that where it quit. Very very weird!!! Sound like I can't do anything bur reinstall the whole OSX again from scratch. :-(
QUOTE Thanks
powercat

Hi

I took out that PC133 128mb out and leaving all PC100 altogether. One 256mb ram from biege G3 into first slot before others. It going ok.

But still annoying system profiler still quit. I went to apple menu and click "About the mac" the "system update: button is fine but not when I click "more info" button and that the trouble that causing to quit.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

have you installed any new hardware or software recently? or send me your email via pm and Ill email you my system profiler app and see if that works.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« G3 with G4 upgrade card crashes a lot | ipod and Imac Rev B »