New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

B&W G3 350 - Installing 120 gig with OSX Panther

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

powercat

Hi

I have here is G3 350 mhz Blue & White Tower with 128mb ram (will upgrade ram later on) with 1MB L2 Cache

I find it frustrating for a new Western Digital Caviar (2mb) 120 gig hard drive wouldn't install Panther OSX successfully. I had changed jumpers from master, cs, slave, pm2 and or without jumpers too and somtimes it boot up with circle with a cross over it. it has been frustrating days for me to work out why. Is it possible to split partition without have to install a whole drive or does it need another bootable smaller main hard drive and make 120 gig as slave. What I'm concerned about is the longevity of drives without losing the OSX or OS 9 if that can happens. What about other drives brand?

On my G3 300mhz I installed Panther OSX successfully on a whole 20 gig without the need to partition 8 gig.

I would like some suggestions of an idea what the best to do with hard drive.

Also one thing is could it possible to get any PC 256 PC133 SDRAM to work with it or what brand too from any computer pc retail stores. I heard that G3 Blue & White can take PC100 or PC133 with 3.3v. unbuffered rated 125mhz.

Regards

AussieDownUnder
:yinyang:
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

You need to find out if you have a Rev.1 or a Rev.2 motherboard. If it's a Rev.1, you might have problems with the 120.
Go here: http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G3-ZONE/

I use a Sonnett IDE card and no problems with my 120 and 2 six gigs.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks
powercat

Hi

Thanks Cradom! Didn't realise this G3 350 is actually Rev 1. That is amazing!!

What the best I should go for pci controller card or getting a smaller master bootable drive and 120 gig as slave? Just concerning of elimating problems later on like data corruption or unexpectedly.

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud ofcradom has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

I installed a Sonnet Tempo ATA 133 card. It can handle 4 IDE drives. Mine is set up as:
6 gig connected to built in controller.
120 gig connected to card - partitioned in half - 1/2 OS X, 1/2 OS 9.
6 gig connected to card

There are some minor problems getting this to boot the first time. Make sure you have a startup (os9) CD so you can use the startup disk control panel.
It takes a little longer for the drives on the card to spin up but it will boot.

BTW: I have my 350 overclocked to 400 with no problems. Just keep it cool.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why is it rare?? | G3 with G4 upgrade card crashes a lot »