G4 , dual cdrom?
    I just got a G4 800mhz that has the CDRW drive in it and I think a zip drive below the cdrom drive. Can I remove the zip and install a DVD- + R/RW drive IDE/66? What drives are compatable with the mac? How do I eject the 2nd drive tray if this does work (assuming it will since the 2nd channel just seems to be a standard IDE channel). I have advanced PC hardware skills, but this G4 is a different and much more interesting world. Also, I have performed searches in the forum, but found nothing exactly on dual optical drives and I am quite new to the mac world as far as supported hardware.

Luxemburg, Europe
    PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
    As far as I know, the only ever PowerMac G4 that had 2 optical drive bays was the MDD (Mirrored Drive Doors). As the lowest MDD was a 867MHz G4, I presume yours must be a Quicksilver, the predecessor of the MDD.
    Technically you could connect a second optical drive, instead of the ZIP, but the problem is that it wouldn't fit in the case. The upper bay is a 5.25", and the lower bay (the ZIP drive) is a 3.5" bay. Modifying this shouldn't be too easy.

Ejecting isn't a problem though. When you have a second optical drive attached, you can open the second tray by pressing option+eject on your keyboard (option = alt).
    When I added a DVD burner to my G4 (it came with a Combo), Mac OS X had put a little Eject button on my menubar. Clicking on it gave me the choice which one to open, and showed me the more conveniant keyboard shortcut. :cool:

The most compatible DVD burners would be Pioneer, as Apple's Superdrive is a Pioneer too.

Thread Information