New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Desktops Discussion of Apple's desktop machines including Mac Pro, iMac, Power Mac, and mini

9 pin or 24 pin printers on OSX?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ruralguy

Good morning. Are there any of the old 9 pin or 24 pin impact printers (I see a bunch on Ebay) that will run on an iMac 333 with OS 10.2? I print nothing but black. Am using an Epson C82, which goes through color cartridges at a fast rate. Much expense, which I would like to stop. Thanks Hank
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You might be able to if you get a parallel to USB adaptor and can find drivers for it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Badger

As Schweb mentions there are adapter cables that can do this but you also need the right drivers. On a long term basis you might be more satisfied by getting one of the low cost Lazer printers that are available now. I switched from an Epson 740 to a Samsung 1710 about 2 years ago. It paid for itself in about 15 months.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Good point Badger. I've had the HP LaserJet 6L for about 7 years now. Best investment I've ever made!

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

You could
- Pick up an ImageWriter (indestructible Apple dot matrix printer) on eBay
- Purchase a Keyspan serial adaptor
- and use the CUPS drivers for that printer

If you're printing carbon-copy forms, this might be a practical choice.

If you just want low-cost-per-page printing, though, a LaserJet will give you much higher quality and speed.
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I think if you get this adapter scweb mentioned, you can use gimp print to make it work.
QUOTE Thanks
ruralguy

Thanks everyone. Just returned home and read the replies. I had totally forgotten about the parallel to USB cable business. Think I will try to find a used laser printer. I appreciate your feedback/advice.

Hank
QUOTE Thanks
Macman

Macman has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb

I say get the adapter, then download gimp print and the printer should work fine.
QUOTE Thanks
ruralguy

Thanks for information and direction. I read reviews and compared prices on lasers named in your replies. Looked at prices of older Apple pin printers. Then, I found a long, pretty good review of the less-expensive Brother HL-1440. Bought a new one off Amazon for about $100 including shipping. Upgraded from 10.2 to 10.2.1 (per info at Brother site) and downloaded Brother's OS X driver. Hooked it up, ran a test sheet, then turned on the iMac. I set the Brother as default and it worked perfectly. Have just printed a 38 page document. Toner cartridge is supposed to go 3500 copies, with replacement cost about $35. Wish I had done this a long time ago! Also, wish I had gone to Mac a long time ago! Again, thanks. Hank
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« help with dvd writer! | using an iBook as a second display forG5 »