Specs:
    ibook 14" 1.42GHz 512MB Ram
    Mac osx for imac G3?
    Hello, another probably stupid question but you people are so nice here i know you'll answer my question so here goes.

Do you think i would be able to run mac osx on my current imac G3 233mhz 96mb ram? I have no idea what the requirements are for it.

If i cannot run it then what would i need to upgrade to be able to. I wasnt sure if the G3 processor wouldnt allow me to even run it at all since alot of the new software i've seen in magazines has said requires G4 processor or higher.
    Thanks again for all the help you guys.

officehelper
    i heard it depends on the gb you have. we have an old G3 233mhz 96 mb ram and i was told to get 256mb ram and make sure that i have more than 4gb on ht ehard drive

otherwise it won't run well

also make sure you have the newst version of os 9

even still I think it would run slowly on an old G3 but maybe not

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I have a biege powermac G3 233mhz with 384mb of memory and 40GB system disk. It is running OS X 10.1.5 and OS 9.2.2. I don't use it much any more. My grandsons use it to access the internet. I know that 10.1.5 runs okay on this system. There is a thread on this site, stating that someone is running Panther on one of these.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
    You certainly can run OS X on an iMac G3 . There are however a few things it's advisable to do to get it to run decently .

1. Have a minimum 256MB RAM
    2. Have a Hard drive of at least 20 GB (not essential but a good idea if you plan on keeping anything on your HD)
    3. OS 9.2.2
    4. The latest Fimware update (ESSENTIAL !!!!!)

Hope this helps
    Paul

Specs:
    PowerMac 7200/75: Mac OS 7.6.1; iMac 233mhz Mac OS X 10.1.5; PowerBook 180c, Mac OS 7.5.3
    I have Mac OS X 10.1.5 running on my iMac G3 233MHz with 96MB RAM and 20GB hard drive. It runs fine. I'm not sure how Panther would run on it, however.

Good luck!

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSpock
    I have Mac OS X 10.1.5 running on my iMac G3 233MHz with 96MB RAM and 20GB hard drive. It runs fine. I'm not sure how Panther would run on it, however.
    Actually, if anyone wanted to run OS X on an older G3, Panther would be the version I'd recommend. I was running Jaguar on my Beige G3 AIO, and finally decided to upgrade it to Panther a while ago. There was definitely a noticeable improvement in the machine's overall "snappiness".
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    Thank you, Padawan. I knew there was someone here that has installed Panther on a G3 powermac, because I was thinking about upgrading to Panther at one time.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by rman
    Thank you, Padawan. I knew there was someone here that has installed Panther on a G3 powermac, because I was thinking about upgrading to Panther at one time.
    Yeah, I stuck with Jaguar for a while because I was a little concerned about having to use XPostFacto to install Panther (since Panther isn't "officially" supported on the Beige G3's), but once I finally decided to do it, I was sorry I waited so long. It was extremely simple, and the results were excellent. In most respects, my G3 with Panther could easily by my main everyday machine.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

madmanjock
    I wonder what tiger's speed will be like.... OS 9?

Thread Information